Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! my puppy Delilah is a 14-week Morkie puppy. We got her about 3 weeks ago and she has had kennel cough symptoms and has been put on antibiotics. She also had a chest x-ray and found that her trachea was very small. Is a small trachea common for a 2.5 pound puppy. My vet is concerned about this and I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello! my puppy Delilah is a 14-week Morkie puppy. We got her about 3 weeks ago and she has had kennel cough symptoms and has been put on antibiotics. She also had a chest x-ray and found that her trachea was very small. Is a small trachea common for a 2.5 pound puppy. My vet is concerned about this and I don't know what to do.
It is very comment for small dogs to have issues with their tracheas, unfortunately. I’m currently fostering an 8 year old 10 lb Shih Tzu who has kennel cough and the vet wants to take another look at her trachea when her cough clears up. Something as simple as not putting your pup in a harness or picking her up a little differently can cause all sorts of things with tiny dogs. If I were you, I would get a second opinion with another vet, a second set of xrays, and assess their opinions. A lot of times, pups will adjust to a partially collapsed trachea as long as it isn’t prohibiting them from breathing properly.
Now, I’m not a vet, not a vet tech, just sharing from experience, advice from vets, and what I’ve learned from all the reading I’ve done over the years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts