Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have posted here before. I have been doing a lot of research and thinking of getting a dog, and now i have more questions to ask if you dont mind. Also I like to take my time and be really ready when I will get a dog.

First I wanted to get a puppy, but I thought, maybe I could just rescue a dog. My question about this is:
- If I get a shelter dog, what if he has bad habits, can I train him to become better? Are the shelter dogs safe? or is it better to get a puppy after all?

Second, what if the dog has to be at home some days 8 hours straight?
- What if he really has to pee? can he hold in? or what do you guys do, can you have a dog toilet at home? I adore small and big dogs, could you maybe something similar to a cat toilet for a small dog? but what do you do with a big dog?

Sorry for the 2nd question, probably sounds stupid, but it would be good to know. Otherwise I am thinking of getting either a chihuahua or this border collie mix that I have an eye on in the shelter. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
301 Posts
shelter dogs are great dog as well as puppies, they just had someone who didn't love them enough or have the time for them!

You can crate train even an older dog and crate them when you aren't home. Rule of thumb is a puppy can hold is bladder 1 hour for every month old they are. So myself having a 7 month old puppy she should be able to hold her bladder for 7 hours. An adult should be able to hold his bladder for 8-10 hours if needed.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Shelters are fantastic places to get grown dogs, seniors, or puppies. Many of them are in shelters in the first place because "they're too energetic", "we're moving", "he's too big", "he jumps", "he's the wrong color", "we're having a baby", or excuses of the like.

However, if you are going to be gone 8 hours a day, I would NOT recommend a puppy to you. A puppy needs a lot of time and a lot of work. Also, you should know that the personallity of a Chihuahua and a personality of a Border Collie are VERY different. Be sure to know what you are getting into, and that you can meet the requirements and needs of the dog you want.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your replies.
i am still wondering, is it not cruel to let the dog hold it in for that long? i for example am a full grown woman, but i can only hold it in for 3 to 4 hours lol :eek: just making sure if this is not bad for the dog.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Once they reach adult hood it's fine...

As far as shelter dogs go, I wouldn't recommend you get a high energy, grown dog for your first from a shelter. They're a handful and it could be dangerous for you or someone else if you find you can't be the pack leader and burn off the dogs energy. Dog attacks usually occur when a dog has to much energy and no leadership. That being said, I hope you find the right pup for you! :D

Sorry if that's all been said already.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once they reach adult hood it's fine...

As far as shelter dogs go, I wouldn't recommend you get a high energy, grown dog for your first from a shelter. They're a handful and it could be dangerous for you or someone else if you find you can't be the pack leader and burn off the dogs energy. Dog attacks usually occur when a dog has to much energy and no leadership. That being said, I hope you find the right pup for you! :D

Sorry if that's all been said already.
thank you.
should I maybe not take the border collie mix from the shelter? I hike a lot, and can take the dog out for a morning walk and after work dog. during summer i jog. my and my husband also really want a GSD, but in the small country i live in i am not sure about the breeders here. i am also in love with the icelandic sheep dog, there are also a handfull of them in the shelter. about the pack leader thing, i am a very consistent person that loves to follow rules, not soft and rather the strict mama in the house, is that good or bad?

·
Registered
170 Posts
thank you.
should I maybe not take the border collie mix from the shelter? I hike a lot, and can take the dog out for a morning walk and after work dog. during summer i jog. my and my husband also really want a GSD, but in the small country i live in i am not sure about the breeders here. i am also in love with the icelandic sheep dog, there are also a handfull of them in the shelter. about the pack leader thing, i am a very consistent person that loves to follow rules, not soft and rather the strict mama in the house, is that good or bad?
That sounds great! Knowing more about your lifestyle I say get whatever you want. :D

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
The word "pack leader" has various interpretations depending on the person. But yes, Border Collies, and GSDs as well, will do better with a handler who has a bit of a "no-nonsense" attitude and a willingness to work with the dog. Consistency is very good.

As for finding a GSD breeder, are there no German shepherds at your local shelter? Seeing how they are such a popular breed, that does somewhat surprise me. Where do you live? Are you willing to ship/travel? I'm sure our German shepherd expert, Xeph, could point you to quite a few reputable breeders in your area.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for finding a GSD breeder, are there no German shepherds at your local shelter? Seeing how they are such a popular breed, that does somewhat surprise me. Where do you live? Are you willing to ship/travel? I'm sure our German shepherd expert, Xeph, could point you to quite a few reputable breeders in your area.
This year alone there were only 2 GSD in the shelter. I live in Iceland, and we only have 1 shelter. and a few websites where people give away their dogs. Then there are these 2 breeders. I showed Xeph one already. Xeph was not very impressed with breeder 1, and breeder 2 will not have any puppies until next year. There are quiet a lot labradors, border collies, and icelandic sheep dog mix or pure in the shelter though.
Here is a link I had my eyes on dís. The 4th dog, she looks quiet sweet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts