Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I am NOT too happy at the moment...

For the past 3 months a organization of Pit Bull owners and lovers has been putting together a Pit Bull Awareness Walk where a bunch of Pit Bull's their owners and Pit Bull Lovers gather and walk to show this breed of dog is no more dangerous then any other.

Well P.A.W.s has been jumping through every hoop that the city of Grand Rapids Michigan has tossed at it to do this. They had to get a special permit, special insurance, and such to host this even (they are expecting around 100 dogs to be there).

I received an Email last night stating this:
Dear P.A.W. friends ,

As the days come closer, hundreds of friends and families have planned days off of work and our excited about the Pitbull Walk aimed for the Sixth Street Bridge Park May 23rd 2009. Several months ago P.A.W. received its P.A.W. walk permit. Based on the permit we received, we have been working around the clock to gather contacts and inform people of this event. As of May 7Th 2009, we regret to inform you that the Pitbull Awareness Walk has reached its first complication. Based on our insurance coverage the City of Grand Rapids has had to contact the risk assessment department in City Hall. Unfortunately after reviewing the insurance providers policy, City Hall has denied the walk and will not let us host this event at the desired location. We plan on hosting a Pitbull Park Day May 23rd 2009 at a new location. We will post a new park location for the members to meet at very soon. As many of you know with owning pitbulls we are discriminated against in many ways, I personally believe this to be another fine example. We will not stop what we are doing and our goals to spread love and promote pitbulls will never end. We encourage everybody involved to stay positive as this is just a small hurdle to jump. We are real busy figuring this out, and will not be responding to emails for a few days. Please do not respond to this and stay tuned to our website for updates, we will hopefully have a new location posted MON May 11Th 2009 at Paw2009.weebly.com or through Face book. Please do not give up on P..A.W. as the true members being affected are the ones with wagging tails. We need to recognize these small setbacks as a way to grow stronger. P.A.W. is about Pitbull Awareness. In the meantime please continue to spread Pitbull Awareness and love every chance you get. If you have the desire to contact City Hall and let them know that pitbulls are no different than any other dog feel free to follow the link provided.

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=462

Sincerely,
Eric Meadows
Ryan VanDam
Founders of P.A.W.
You know any other breed of dog, and this wouldn't be an issue at all. It really is starting to piss me off that things like this keep happening. Not only this but I'm currently looking for an apartment that will accept Pit Bulls, and as you can guess I am having NO LUCK. I was looking forward to this event (even had to take a special day off so I can go) and this happens. Yes It's still happening just somewhere different, but how much further away will it be? Grand Rapids is about 1 and 1/2hrs away from be depending on traffic.

This just is irking me. :mad:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have been meaning to ask you, if there are any really good "pit bull forums", just for PB? Just wondering because we get alot of PB post here. Any ways sounds like a never ending up hill battle to get a change of opinion of the general public! It does not look good.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have been meaning to ask you, if there are any really good "pit bull forums", just for PB? Just wondering because we get alot of PB post here. Any ways sounds like a never ending up hill battle to get a change of opinion of the general public! It does not look good.
There are actually many. Pit bull Forums is what I also am on. Pit Bull Chat is another ok one (personally don't like that one. I've head butted with some of the mods on there that think DA pit bulls are OK to be bred) But this isn't just a Pit Bull owner's fight. This is a fight all dog owners should me involved in. If they ban one breed, they start banning them all. Even Italy had almost 90 breeds banned up until this past year and it started out with just Pit Bull type dogs.

What was the reason for the denial?
" Based on our insurance coverage the City of Grand Rapids has had to contact the risk assessment department in City Hall. Unfortunately after reviewing the insurance providers policy, City Hall has denied the walk and will not let us host this event at the desired location"

Looks like it was "too much of a risk" for the City of Grand Rapids. They required them to get a huge amount of insurance on the event in case something happened so the City of Grand Rapids wouldn't be sued. Seems like even though they did what they were asked, they were still denied.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It totally boggles my mind that the City would be afraid of a group of RESPONSIBLE dog owners trying to hold a fundraiser. Cause chances are someone who joins a group like this and is active with it is NOT going to bring an aggressive dog into public. Yet to them the event is probably comparable to a fight ring. Idiots.

BTW I'm on PBF too, I don't post much but I like to look at what people have to say. Just joined up a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
" Based on our insurance coverage the City of Grand Rapids has had to contact the risk assessment department in City Hall. Unfortunately after reviewing the insurance providers policy, City Hall has denied the walk and will not let us host this event at the desired location"

Looks like it was "too much of a risk" for the City of Grand Rapids. They required them to get a huge amount of insurance on the event in case something happened so the City of Grand Rapids wouldn't be sued. Seems like even though they did what they were asked, they were still denied.
Does the local humane society have a "pet walk" scheduled in that area? Find out how they insure the walkers during that event. If you can attain the same type of coverage the city should have no issue with an organized charity walk. At least, I wouldn't think they would. Who knows, you are attempting all those scary Pit Bulls in one area. ;)

Keep the faith DM you know the power of positive thinking. :)

·
Registered
12,761 Posts

Ah, cya speak.

I wonder what they would do if a bully breed "critical mass" just happened. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
:rolleyes: Grand Rapids has bigger fish to fry than a bunch of dogs having a nice day out. I've been mugged twice on Division, a main street, and I rarely venture there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your walk being cancelled and the troubles you're having finding a pit bull friendly apartment. Even though I don't have a pit bull I know what you're going through with the apartment search. Since I'm in a military family and will be moving a lot I had to make sure I didn't get a breed that would be hard to find a place for rent. I know too many families that get pit bulls and rottweilers and then give them up because they can't find places to move with them. It's just very sad. :( Good luck to both you and PAW.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You can be sure that there would be an uproar if Birmingham (MI) had to cancel their Bassett Waddle because of breed discrimination.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
That's terrible. I know there's nothing you can do about this particular event but next time there's a City Council Meeting why not show up in an organized manner with several different breeds that get mixed up with Pits. Have the dogs on leash and even muzzled if necessary for the dogs' safety. Then challenge the City Council to identify the Pitbull if they can. My bet is they won't be able to. It would be really funny if there was no actual APBT present at the meeting.

It probably won't do any good against the Pit prejudice but just maybe one person at least will come out of it better educated.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
That's terrible. I know there's nothing you can do about this particular event but next time there's a City Council Meeting why not show up in an organized manner with several different breeds that get mixed up with Pits. Have the dogs on leash and even muzzled if necessary for the dogs' safety. Then challenge the City Council to identify the Pitbull if they can. My bet is they won't be able to. It would be really funny if there was no actual APBT present at the meeting.

It probably won't do any good against the Pit prejudice but just maybe one person at least will come out of it better educated.
Um, this is not a good idea. I don't know of ANY city council meeting that allows dogs. Education - in a non-confrontational manner - is generally the best bet, but it needs to be done carefully.

What was the insurance problem?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The city has to look out for the tax payer. Don't blame them. Blame your fellow sue-happy citizens and the insurance company's policies...which come right back to sue-happy citizens.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Um, this is not a good idea. I don't know of ANY city council meeting that allows dogs. Education - in a non-confrontational manner - is generally the best bet, but it needs to be done carefully.

What was the insurance problem?
Actually there have been cases where people have done just that (take dogs to a meeting) when BSL has been on the agenda but maybe some type of arrangements were made in advance or it was a special meeting. I should have suggested pre-arrangements of some type, but actually I was speaking tongue-in-cheek more than anything.;)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
That sucks DM.......we just held a demo where I live at our local courthouse in support of a case to stop breed specific killing at our local shelter.....it was nice to see all the well behaved PB and PB mixes :)...I hope you are able to find a place for your walk :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts