Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure everybody is sick of hearing about uncontrolled off-leash dog encounters, but I find it therapeutic to rant a bit about it, and this one was particularly exciting... and enraging.

Last night I was taking Ralphie for a walk. We were standing in front of a house on the sidewalk. Ralphie was sniffing some bunny tracks in the snow. He was on a leash, of course, because we're in town. The garage door of the house opens. The resident dog trots out and makes a beeline for Ralphie. This dog has approached us before (at least 2 times), and her demeanor is never friendly. I'm usually able to move Ralphie off quickly before it escalates, but this time she almost immediately snapped at Ralphie, and a fight ensued.

I tried getting Ralphie behind me and grabbing the other dog by the scruff of the neck to keep her off my dog, but I was wearing gloves and she wiggled away and went after Ralphie again. I shoved her off and grabbed her neck again, and by that time the owner finally reached us. The entire fight probably lasted 30 seconds, but if felt like forever.

I told the man, "Put a leash on your dog, please." He replied, "Well, it is my house." Um, what? This is a public sidewalk! Yes, it was in front of his house, but pedestrians have a right to be unmolested on public sidewalks! I said, "Your dog just ran out and attacked my dog!" The man said, "She didn't attack anyone, she's a nice dog. Move on." Flabbergasted, I muttered in frustration and walked away. Ralphie was unhurt. The fight seemed to be mostly noise and blunder, but it was still completely avoidable and unacceptable. Ralphie recovered quickly by the time we reached the end of the block. He shook himself off, circled once, and pooped. He seemed to have forgotten the encounter completely by the time we returned home.

Good. God. I can't even. I'm still absolutely livid. Completely unapologetic, and apparently completely oblivious to dog body language. The dog IS nice to people, but I imagine she's probably dog selective. Which, you know, is fine, but it is not fine when one refuses to control their animal and it becomes a problem for other people minding their own business on a public way!

Due to the fact that his dog has approached me, off-leash, multiple times, and the fact that this person seems to think his dog can attack other dogs if they're on the sidewalk that is in front of his house, I reported the incident to the police. I doubt anything other than a warning will happen to him considering its basically my word against his, but perhaps that will at least encourage him to keep better control of his dog.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Wow what a jerk. I'm glad you reported it, that's what I would have done. The only thing you can do now is just never walk past that house again.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow what a jerk. I'm glad you reported it, that's what I would have done. The only thing you can do now is just never walk past that house again.
I kind of have to. I live on a cul-de-sac, and that house is right across the street from where my cul-de-sac exits. I mean, I can keep a street between me and that dog, but there's nothing stopping her from charging across, and she has gotten half-way before her owner screamed at her!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check your county animal control laws. Here in Maryland, in my county, you can call animal control and sign an affidavit for the unleashed episode. It is a civil penalty here where I live if this happens. Same for not picking up their dogs waste. Worth looking into. The police won't do anything in this situation as its not their jurisdiction.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Police and Animal Control work in conjunction in city limits here. Like many places, I'm sure, off-leash dogs that don't attack PEOPLE are not really a priority. Had there actually been an injury, I imagine it would be higher priority, but that's the way it works, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ugh. Seriously obnoxious. Who thinks the public street/sidewalk is literally part of their house? I'd walk on the other side of the street whenever possible, and maybe keep your phone handy to record any incidents just in case.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh. Seriously obnoxious. Who thinks the public street/sidewalk is literally part of their house? I'd walk on the other side of the street whenever possible, and maybe keep your phone handy to record any incidents just in case.
I KNOW, right? Like, what are you thinking? I still can't wrap my mind around this guy's absolute absurdity. And I have been walking along the other side of the street, but this dog WILL cross a street to run up to other dogs. It's happened to me! Luckily, no fight, but that was because I was already walking away!

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Some people are just like that. I know a person whose dog has attacked other dogs on numerous occasions, never any injuries but more a lot of noise but he won't quit and the owner just keeps saying "he only wants to play". He definitely is not playing and the dog he is going after knows it. One day the dog he goes after is going to fight back and then it will be the other dogs fault if his dog gets hurt because after all "his dog was just playing".

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh. It's like they don't categorize it as an attack if the other dog isn't bleeding profusely or dead. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
am so sorry you had to go through it... stuff happens with the dogs when we least expect it,cause we not thinking in a moment. so I get it.. but it's this part of your situation (Completely unapologetic) that always gets me.. you hope in the future it makes a difference that he thinks about leashing his dog to a tether before he opens the garage door in the future..

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Flabbergasted, I muttered in frustration and walked away. Ralphie was unhurt. The fight seemed to be mostly noise and blunder, but it was still completely avoidable and unacceptable. Ralphie recovered quickly by the time we reached the end of the block. He shook himself off, circled once, and pooped. He seemed to have forgotten the encounter completely by the time we returned home.
I'm glad that your dog seems to have gotten through the ordeal relatively unscathed. I'm sure you know, in some cases dogs can have tremendous setbacks and lingering fallout due to other people's callous and careless disregard. FWIW, a little tip I've learned is to mega-jackpot reward / feed the SNOT out of it as soon as practically possible after the incident.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad that your dog seems to have gotten through the ordeal relatively unscathed. I'm sure you know, in some cases dogs can have tremendous setbacks and lingering fallout due to other people's callous and careless disregard. FWIW, a little tip I've learned is to mega-jackpot reward / feed the SNOT out of it as soon as practically possible after the incident.
Yes, I know! I haven't seen anything *yet*. We had class last night, and he had no negative reactions to other dogs (even ones he did not know). He wanted to play more, if anything. But, he also knows that the dogs at class won't harass him. I'm lucky in the fact that he forgives and forgets those types of things easily!

And yes, I think I fed him all the way down the block. I was so angry it was the only thing I could do!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm glad everyone was ok!

It really FLOORS me when people are not even remotely apologetic. I mean...crap happens sometimes. I was once coming in from a rehearsal at night and opened the door without paying attention to my surroundings. Ben was ALL excited to see me, but then OMG THERE WAS A DOG WALKING BY and he took off by me before I could even stop him. Thankfully Ben is stupidly dog friendly and the other dog was too. But even then I was totally apologetic because HE didn't know if Ben was friendly and I didn't know if his dog was and holy hell, it could have been a disaster.

But I've had the opposite. I had a guy who just let his Chihuahua wander loose. The dog came out across the road to attack my dog. Yes it seems ridiculous. She was 45 pounds. This dog was all of 10 (it was a FAT Chihuahua). But it kept going for her legs and trying to grab them, which could have ended up with her getting injured. I ultimately ended up kicking at it to scare it into running off. The guy? Not apologetic at all. Basically I shouldn't have been walking on the public sidewalk ACROSS FROM HIS HOUSE because his dog hates big dogs. Oh ok then.

And then there was the college kid across the road from us who tied her under exercised, under socialized, dog aggressive Shiba Inu up with leashes. I was heading back to my house at night with my dog once when hers chewed right through the leash and rushed over to attack my dog. Dahlia defended herself. And the dog redirected and bit ME. I kicked it and it ran off. I was shouting at the girl to get her dog and that it bit me. She finally gets it and I ask her if the dog has its shots because it BIT ME and her response to shrug and say, in a super sarcastic way, "Well, SORRY, she got loose." Not good enough. I called the cops.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad everyone was ok!

It really FLOORS me when people are not even remotely apologetic. I mean...crap happens sometimes. I was once coming in from a rehearsal at night and opened the door without paying attention to my surroundings. Ben was ALL excited to see me, but then OMG THERE WAS A DOG WALKING BY and he took off by me before I could even stop him. Thankfully Ben is stupidly dog friendly and the other dog was too. But even then I was totally apologetic because HE didn't know if Ben was friendly and I didn't know if his dog was and holy hell, it could have been a disaster.

But I've had the opposite. I had a guy who just let his Chihuahua wander loose. The dog came out across the road to attack my dog. Yes it seems ridiculous. She was 45 pounds. This dog was all of 10 (it was a FAT Chihuahua). But it kept going for her legs and trying to grab them, which could have ended up with her getting injured. I ultimately ended up kicking at it to scare it into running off. The guy? Not apologetic at all. Basically I shouldn't have been walking on the public sidewalk ACROSS FROM HIS HOUSE because his dog hates big dogs. Oh ok then.

And then there was the college kid across the road from us who tied her under exercised, under socialized, dog aggressive Shiba Inu up with leashes. I was heading back to my house at night with my dog once when hers chewed right through the leash and rushed over to attack my dog. Dahlia defended herself. And the dog redirected and bit ME. I kicked it and it ran off. I was shouting at the girl to get her dog and that it bit me. She finally gets it and I ask her if the dog has its shots because it BIT ME and her response to shrug and say, in a super sarcastic way, "Well, SORRY, she got loose." Not good enough. I called the cops.
Oh, of course, accidents happen. I get it. But its super irritating when the owner repeatedly keeps making the same mistakes and then doesn't care when that mistake results in making other people or dogs uncomfortable. And also, why do people think it's okay for their small dogs to attack big dogs? What?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Oh, of course, accidents happen. I get it. But its super irritating when the owner repeatedly keeps making the same mistakes and then doesn't care when that mistake results in making other people or dogs uncomfortable. And also, why do people think it's okay for their small dogs to attack big dogs? What?
I feel like if it keeps happening it's not an accident. It's negligence. And it's the lack of even caring. The one time Ben got out and went to meet another dog I was HORRIFIED and felt awful even though there was no fight and it was just two dogs desperate to play. And it happened ONCE. But over and over? With a dog who has issues with other dogs? That's negligence, plain and simple.

And I really have NO idea why people think it's totally ok when small dogs go after big ones. Like yeah maybe they're not going to kill my dog. But that Chihuahua was trying to grab my dogs leg and it meant BUSINESS. It could have torn a big hole in her leg or torn a tendon or SOMETHING. Definitely wasn't ok nor funny but the owner seemed to find it terribly amusing and acted like it was MY fault for dating to have a "big dog."

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you and Ralphie were put in that situation, but happy to hear he seemed to handle it well. That would have undone months and months of training and progress for my guy.

Just the other day we were walking and a lady opened her door and out charged a shitzu (roughly my dog's weight, just shorter and longer) barking and growling, charging towards us. I picked up Oli immediately, as we are working on his reactivity and that's my last line of defense when we can't avoid and distance ourselves to avoid having a negative experience. The lady was pissed at me for picking him up and YELLED at me "Oh stop, she isn't going to do anything!" grabbed the dog, and scoffed back into the house like she was offended that I thought her dog was aggressive. I had to bite my tongue and just continue walking, but I didn't put my dog down of course, until we were well past the property.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry to hear you and Ralphie were put in that situation, but happy to hear he seemed to handle it well. That would have undone months and months of training and progress for my guy.

Just the other day we were walking and a lady opened her door and out charged a shitzu (roughly my dog's weight, just shorter and longer) barking and growling, charging towards us. I picked up Oli immediately, as we are working on his reactivity and that's my last line of defense when we can't avoid and distance ourselves to avoid having a negative experience. The lady was pissed at me for picking him up and YELLED at me "Oh stop, she isn't going to do anything!" grabbed the dog, and scoffed back into the house like she was offended that I thought her dog was aggressive. I had to bite my tongue and just continue walking, but I didn't put my dog down of course, until we were well past the property.
Ugh. How frustrating. It never fails to boggle my mind. Her dog was barking and growling! What exactly were you supposed to think? And it never seems to cross anyone's mind that perhaps the dog that their "isn't going to do anything" dog is approaching doesn't like other dogs?

The owner of the dog that attacked Ralphie called out to me "she isn't going to do anything!" the last two times she approached me, even though she was stiff and did not look at all happy. Third times the charm I guess....

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
2018 Bonnie.jpg The dog I mentioned earlier whose owner just says "he is just playing", I had his dog attack Bonnie when she was around a year old. She never really got over it but was doing really well doing Agility (just starting). At her second trial, I was walking by the ring and the dog came out of the ring after her again. That has put her back in her interaction with other dogs. The next trial at that same location, I could not get her to even go to the end of the ring where he came at her from because a dog barked.

They did bar his dog for six months which is no penalty because we do not have any trials from October to March around here anyway and this happened in September. He is still maintaining that his dog was just wanting to play. Tell Bonnie and me that. I don't know if Bonnie will ever completely get over it and she loves doing Agility.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
View attachment 245826 The dog I mentioned earlier whose owner just says "he is just playing", I had his dog attack Bonnie when she was around a year old. She never really got over it but was doing really well doing Agility (just starting). At her second trial, I was walking by the ring and the dog came out of the ring after her again. That has put her back in her interaction with other dogs. The next trial at that same location, I could not get her to even go to the end of the ring where he came at her from because a dog barked.

They did bar his dog for six months which is no penalty because we do not have any trials from October to March around here anyway and this happened in September. He is still maintaining that his dog was just wanting to play. Tell Bonnie and me that. I don't know if Bonnie will ever completely get over it and she loves doing Agility.
That just sucks. I mean, yeah, the owner was in the ring (I'm assuming running his dog), but I would be absolutely MORTIFIED and so very apologetic if my dog left the ring to go after another dog. I don't think I would run my dog again, honestly, knowing that it could be so detrimental to someone else's training!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts