Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been snooping petfinder for huskies in my area... shame on me, indeed. But anyway, I compiled all the Dexter doppelgangers I've found so far...

This lady was the lab x st. bernad mix I posted previously:

This is a "husky x shepherd" mix I just recently stumbled across named Bubba. Not sure how accurate their breed guess is, but he certainly looks like Dex did as a young pup:

This guy was pointed out by another forum member. He's also listed as a husky x shepherd mix:

-more, tehe-

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is a sibling of the last pup I posted (left), compared to Dexter's brother (right):

Oop, found another! This is Bobo... another shepherd x husky, brother of Bubba (the second dog) I posted (on the left) compared to Dexter's sister (right):

For people wondering what their dog might be... I think comparing dogs on PetFinder might be a useful tool. Of course, a lot of these rescues are merely guessing... but you might be lucky enough to find some that know the parents of a pup. Based on my findings, I think I'm going to tell people Dexter is a cattle dog (based on his two other siblings not pictured) x husky x shepherd x lab. Or something of that nature.

-1 more-

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That is soo cool Jess! Love the comparisons!

He may very well be a Shep/Husky mix... but I'm not so sure. Why? Well because THOSE EARS!!! Hehe, they've just got something else going on with them! The way they lie down so perfectly, like a Beagles ears. (not saying that he is part Beagle, hehe I really dont know) But ya know what I mean right?

I wouldnt doubt the he has some husky in him though!!!

Either way he is a handsome devil!
Nessa

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is soo cool Jess! Love the comparisons!

He may very well be a Shep/Husky mix... but I'm not so sure. Why? Well because THOSE EARS!!! Hehe, they've just got something else going on with them! The way they lie down so perfectly, like a Beagles ears. (not saying that he is part Beagle, hehe I really dont know) But ya know what I mean right?

I wouldnt doubt the he has some husky in him though!!!

Either way he is a handsome devil!
Nessa
Oh yeah... I'm sure he's got about a dozen or more things in him. Possibly some hound or Beagle. I don't think just lab would give him those ears. But it's always neat trying to figure out, and finding little mutts that look just like him!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
You know; from the last few times you've posted pictures I have noticed his ears. They look kind of like Beagle ears.. and even though he's still growing his size is sort of beagle-ish.

Whatever he is mixed with he's one cute dog!:)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dex looks like he is going to have a very stocky body, like a lab. I see lab in his body. And those ears.. maybe husky x shepherd x lab?
That's what I'm thinking. My first dog, the one my parent's got before I was born, was a Shepherd x Lab. My mom keeps saying how Dex has the "lab ears".

It's even possible Dex's litter had two fathers... half sired by a Lab, the other half by a Cattle Dog. His two brothers have very Cattle Dog-ish markings:

Or perhaps the cattle dog features were just more dominant in these two. They sure are cute. :)

You know; from the last few times you've posted pictures I have noticed his ears. They look kind of like Beagle ears.. and even though he's still growing his size is sort of beagle-ish.

Whatever he is mixed with he's one cute dog!:)
Thanks! For a long time we were thinking beagle, so I'm definitely not ruling it out. Especially as a pup, we thought beagle, because his ears were enormous. Now they're beginning to sit in a Labrador-ish fashion. Hard to say for sure. He does have some hound dog qualities in him, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I've seen a lot of beagles (neighor owned one, my best friend lived next to a breeder of beagles when I was a kid, tons at the DPs), and it strikes me that they seem to vary in size a lot. I've seen some that are very petite, probably no more than 15 pounds... then some that look like they could be around 40 pounds. At 7 months, Dexter is just about 40 pounds. A little big for a beagle, but considering what he could be mixed with (shepherd, lab), it's not impossible.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Dex needs a look a like in his house he would be so happy!:D
Oh I know he'd love it. I guess it's a good thing a lot of these pups are on the other side of the US, or else we might have a few running around the house.

Once me and the SO are more established, we will definitely rescue a second. Getting Dex now was a great decision... even though we're both still in school, we live with a bunch of other guys and I work from home, so he's rarely alone. We wouldn't be able to raise a second pup just yet, because it wouldn't be responsible monetarily (we have the money, we just wouldn't want to stretch it in case of emergency).

When we're both graduated, with decent jobs, and in a more permanent living situation (we're moving out of here in August)... that's when we add a little brother or sister. :)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts