Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32027117/ns/us_news-life

"LEXINGTON, Ky. - A newborn baby was hospitalized in critical condition after being taken from his crib and carried outside his central Kentucky home by a family dog, authorities said Tuesday.
The infant, Alexander James Smith, is just a few days old and had been put in his crib for a nap Monday afternoon.
When his parents looked outside later, they saw their pet, a 4-year-old mixed breed called a Native American Indian dog, holding the baby in his mouth, said Jessamine County chief deputy sheriff Allen Peel.
The baby's father, Michael Smith, rushed outside and chased the dog into a wooded area behind the home near Nicholasville, just south of Lexington. It took the father about 10 minutes to recover his son about 200 yards behind the home, Peel said.
"It's unreal," Peel said.
The baby was taken to the University of Kentucky Hospital in Lexington, where he was listed in critical condition early Tuesday. Peel said the baby suffered multiple punctures and bruises.
The dog, named Dakota, was taken by local animal control officials and was being quarantined.
No charges have been filed, and the case remains under investigation, Peel said.""

·
Registered
640 Posts
That is my worst nightmare. :( Thank God the baby survived. I usually can't bring myself to watch the video stories of these things, but I did watch this one... they said the dog was holding the baby as it would hold a puppy... so it seems to me the dog was trying to be careful with the baby, not treating it as prey... so I'm guessing that most of the injuries occurred when the father was chasing the dog. *shudder*

I hope they do NOT put the dog down but rehome him in a family that can lovingly train him (and that does NOT have infants in the house)!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
This is SUCH a sad, sad story, and I agree with you, based on the injuries that the baby sustains, it sounds like the dog had an overactive denning instinct, and was not treating the baby like prey. The article did mention that they had raised other children around the dog, so I doubt that prey drive was at work here...

I have heard through the grapevine that the dog is in the process of being pulled and sent to a sanctuary where it can spend its days in peace.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
It's a very good looking dog...it mentioned in the caption under the video that it was up for adoption. Poor dog. And poor baby...I hope he makes a full recovery.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think I saw in the news that they had about 30 offers to adopt the dog... one in california with lots of acerage...

It's so sad that this dog has now a bad record for trying to take care of the baby. The parents should have been more watchful...

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think I saw in the news that they had about 30 offers to adopt the dog... one in california with lots of acerage...
Oh that is WONDERFUL!! I'm so glad to hear that!
It's so sad that this dog has now a bad record for trying to take care of the baby. The parents should have been more watchful...
TOTALLY agree. Not that I think the parents should go to jail or anything if they were truly blindsided by this, but I'm relieved that people aren't crying for this protective dog to be euthanized.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Reading through the story, I had this nagging thought in the back of my head that the dog is getting a bum rap here. The parents' story just doesn't sit right with me...

Hope the dog finds a GREAT new home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts