Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying, I know this is not ideal, but it is what it is. Ok that said... A neighbor has lab puppies (I know...) Honestly, I trusted her judgement. She seems like a well educated, kind person. And she is, but apparently not when it comes to dogs, well the educated part anyways. 3 weeks ago her sweet Lab had her first litter of puppies (I'm not here to be lectured about supporting backyard breeders... shes not, she is giving me this puppy, but I do understand any concern) I'm going to be adopting a little girl pup. The problem started when she told me they would be ready by six weeks! I have been obsessed with reading everything I can about how to have a good match and how to be a good dog owner. Upon reading I found out that 6 weeks is way way too early! I'm now very concerned. A friend is going to be adopting a male and I spoke to her asking if she would insist on having my neighbor keep her puppy along with my pup past 6 weeks. My friend agreed that she would wait until week 7 to get her pup. So now my problem is if she gives all the other littermates away then my puppy will be the only one left after the 7th week. Would it be better to get my dog after the 7 weeks and take her on playdates to visit her brother (and after her shots other puppies/dogs/cats/people ect...), or should I let her stay with her mom for the last week? I should add that my neighbor has three older kids who are very loving to the puppies and they do treat them well, so thats a plus. I'm already SO in love with my girl, I will do whatever is best for her. I just don't know what that is.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
by the 7th week momma dog has usually had enough of the litter and spends less personal time with them naturally. It is important to spend time tho with their littermates up to at least 8 weeks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
there may be laws in your area about placing the pups too soon, I would look into that and bring it up. Since you are getting your pup for free, why not offer to pay for mom's spay as a return favor? Find out what vet clinic she uses and see if they'd accept payment there, if your other friend is getting a pup for free too, she could chip in. That would be a very nice gesture and ok kick in the pants for the 'breeder' to get the dog spayed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
8 weeks is the norm, I did get my golden retriever when he was 7 weeks and he did fine. I should mention I brought him into a home where there were already two dogs and he bonded with them quickly. I would try to see if you can get this person to keep all the pups until they are between 7-8 weeks at least. Good Luck

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
there may be laws in your area about placing the pups too soon, I would look into that and bring it up. Since you are getting your pup for free, why not offer to pay for mom's spay as a return favor? Find out what vet clinic she uses and see if they'd accept payment there, if your other friend is getting a pup for free too, she could chip in. That would be a very nice gesture and ok kick in the pants for the 'breeder' to get the dog spayed.
THIS. She will be doing everyone a favor (all the future owners of the pups) by keeping them till 8 weeks so they can get as much bite inhibition as possible. Labs are already mouthy, they should be started out on the right track to reduce the chances of them landing in a shelter in a few months as unruly teenagers/big puppies.

Also,
While I support the right of responsible dog owners to choose to spay or not, once someone has an "oops" litter, they are no longer a responsible dog owner in that sense IMO. This is just an observation but if someone has an oops litter but then refuses to spay their bitch if its offered for free, it is a strong indicator that it A)wasn't an oops litter and B)they intend to breed again as BYBs.

Personally, I'd also like to see anyone that ends up with an oops litter require all the takers of the pups to put down a deposit/payment for spay/neuter at a vet clinic of their choice and schedule an appt for when the dog is 6 months. Too often, people see a chance to join the BYB club when they get a nice looking (purebred?) pup that isn't fixed and doesn't have a proper contract (like a dog coming from a responsible breeder would to control either careful breeding or s/n at an appropriate age).

·
Registered
291 Posts
What is your situation in regard to time? Will the pup get more attention from the young ones than it would from you ? It is equaly important that a young pup gets to interact with kids as well as other dogs. 7 weeks is not ideal but can be acceptable if it is going to a person who has the experience and the time to look after a pup.
My own pups will not leave home before they are 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Why not explain to the lady that it's important for puppies to spend as much time with their family as possible? Honestly what's two more weeks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I suspect there is a money issue here. Maybe you could offer to help pay for 2-3 weeks worth of expenses? That bite inhibition training is invaluable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts