Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
So since my foster dog cannot stay in a crate while I am at work because he barks all day, I have set up a room for him to stay in that has his open crate, toys, and food/water bowls in there. We have him up to about 2 hours staying by himself in there while we are gone. Even though we leave him with a bone or kong to work on, after he is finished he gets stressed. I know this because I can hear him in the parking lot whining when I get home, and when I come inside I can see under the door that he is laying by the door. He may just sense that I am home but one time he tore up some cardboard that was in there and did not even touch his bone. So that tells me he might be stressed.
ANYWAYS! I want to try and get him more comfortable with the room so he feels safer in there when he is alone. Should I set up a baby gate and put him in there with a treat every now and then while I am home to get him more comfortable? Kind of like a positive time out session? Any suggestions?
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Yes, I think it's a great idea to put him in the room every now and then when you're home. That way, he won't associate being confined with being alone. Also, I think I would try using a baby gate to block off the door to his dog safe room. Sometimes being shut behind a closed door can make an already stressed dog even more stressed, as they feel more isolated when they can't at least see out of the room.

The other thing is that you could try to schedule your walks with him, or exercise for right before you leave. Exercise will tire him out, so maybe he will sleep or at least chill out, plus, exercise is great for relieving stress and pent up energy.

It's not always a sign that he's stressed though (the tearing up the cardboard, etc). Sometimes it can be that he's bored and has excess energy. Or, it could be a combination of both.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with Doxie and chocolabs and gonna suggest that it is stress, but not separation anxiety. So, 30 min. of exercise or training before you leave, along with a frozen Kong and a hard rubber bone to chew, may help to tire him out, so that he'll sleep until you return.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts