Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moomoo was 11 years and 6 months old and he just passed away within the last hour. :'( He had been slowing down, as aging tends to do, but he still got around, was alert, and still lived for cookies. He had been "his normal" till up to last Saturday, 02/11/12, where he seemed a bit ... slower - and his face seemed cold to the touch kinda.

So last Saturday I tried to get a ride to the vet just to have him checked over (my car is broke at the moment) but no one was available to take me. It was also too far for me to walk him to the vet (1 hour, 15 min. hike by foot according to phone map). With the vet being closed on Sunday, I felt it was okay to wait for Monday. His eyes were still alert, he was responsive, he was eating and drinking - and even more eager when a cookie was involved, he was urinating fine and was having normal bowl movements.

Late Sunday evening is when he lost interest in eating, he would eat a few bites and then be done with it. But he was still drinking on his own. I had all intentions on taking him to the vet tomorrow/today (this Monday 02/13/12) and had a ride lined up to take us. Other than loss of appetite, everything else was as it had been so I honestly thought being seen on Monday would be fine.

But now, I'm sitting here writing this as my brother woke me up to tell me Moomoo just didn't make it through the night. :'(

I wish I had gotten him to the vet earlier. >:'( Maybe they could have done something, I don't know. So I don't know why he died, other than maybe from old age. He never acted as if he was in pain. Again, still walked around fine, still drank and ate, and toileted just fine. He hasn't even had a seizure in a while. Just slowed way down and now he is gone.

I feel so guilty.

My Moomoo is gone. :'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My condolences. It does sound like old age. Don't blame yourself - a vet couldn't have saved him from old age. Hugs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like it was his time to pass, though, and from what you've said it was probably a comfortable transition. You can't blame yourself for nature taking its course.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Aw!! Im sorry for your loss!! (((hugs))) like Charis and Gofygure said it sounds like it was his time and he went peacefully/comfortably.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Don't feel guilty! I would've waited, too. It was probably just age. Moomoo was much loved and that's all a dog asks for.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Geeze, are you kidding. While there are no good ways to leave this world, some are so much better than others, Moomoo left with very little discomfort and died at home. Sorry he had to go but at least the trip was without weeks of pain etc.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like old age to me also. Moomoo's crossing the bridge is the way I would wish for my own to go ...peacefully and at home. I truly believe it was just his time and you will meet again some day.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like old age to me also. Moomoo's crossing the bridge is the way I would wish for my own to go ...peacefully and at home. I truly believe it was just his time and you will meet again some day.
I hope when I leave it will be similar.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I too believe this. My Grandmother who was very very religious used to tell me that Heaven was a perfect place. She said it was designed for humans. I said, If it is truly a perfect place all of our loved ones will be there, including our much loved animals. I believe Moomoo is there now and will wait for you by the bridge. Loyal and loving and happy and peaceful. Rest In Peace Dear MooMoo.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I wil join with the others in saying it sounds like it was his time and I doubt that the vet could have done anything. It's clear to me Moomoo was loved dearly.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
My first Scottish Terrier had never had a sick day in her life. At 12 years old, she lay down on the front porch in the sun and just went to sleep. It was such a peaceful way of going, it made it much easier to see her go. I doubt that the Vet could have done anything for your dog, it was just his time to go. Just remember all the good times you had with him and treasure the time you had with him.

·
Registered
188 Posts
sorry for your lost. it was his time and he super grateful on the love and wonderful memories you guys had.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. When Nikki went, she went downhill rapidly like that and there was no way to get her to the vet. I think it was just their time to go.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It sounds like he went peacefully. With the symptoms you describe, I would have likely tried to wait till morning as well. You did your best, and I'm sorry for your pain.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm sorry to read that you've lost your friend. I lost my two old dogs in the fall. One, Sammy, was expected; he was 11.5 and had a tumor. Bailey, 12.5, went in her sleep a month later. I hope I go the way Moomoo and Bailey did, so peacefully in sleep. Be comforted that your dog was very loved and didn't suffer.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
im sorry to hear this hyperferret, as someone who has just lost their dear friend to a terrible accident, i can totally understand what your going thru. i was actually HOPING (in some way) that she would have diied of old age as well but it was not meant to be :(

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. I agree with the others, he went peaceful and at home. I've never been that "lucky".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts