Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So told in my culinary class, my two lab partners were talking about that monkey that ripped a womans face off or something... anyways, Celisa (DRAMA QUEEN, scared of mice, complains about everything, calls you a b!tch if you don't say "hi"), made the statement "I'd rather face a savage monkey than a Pit Bull any day." I was gonna say somthing, but then I realized why Tiffany (the other girls)'s face was messed up; she had been attacked by a Pit Bull when she was a little kid. What do you say in a situation like that??

·
Registered
92 Posts
I probably wouldn't say anything because Celisa doesn't sound sane or rational. Was Celisa just trying to upset Tiffany? Under those circumstances, I don't know if an arguement would be worth it. If a more reasonable person said it under better circumstances, I might respond with something about pit bulls not being exactly how the media portrays them and go from there. It wouldn't be worth it if the person was just trying to bait an argument.

·
Banned
335 Posts
You point out that the chimpanzee is a tamed wild animal and that it is more likely to kill someone than a domesticated dog of any breed. Yes, there are vicious dogs in any breed, but not every representative of a single breed is likely to attack. If you call attention to the other person who was attacked, you are behaving as insensitively as the the person who made the insensitive comment to begin with.

That being said, there's no reason that you can't draw Celisa aside afterward and tell her in private that you feel she was insensitive, as long as you do so politely.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow... I wouldn't know what to say either! There's so many things I'd say to try and be nice but my luck the victim would take offense to it or think I'm pitying them. : (

If you defend the pit bull, you risk offending the other girl; But if you defend the "monkey", then you're showing ignorance, like that girl that made that statement.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow... I wouldn't know what to say either! There's so many things I'd say to try and be nice but my luck the victim would take offense to it or think I'm pitying them. : (

If you defend the pit bull, you risk offending the other girl; But if you defend the "monkey", then you're showing ignorance, like that girl that made that statement.
I asked Celisa later in the day to tell me the story; thus she told me (I half listened; she tends to over-elaborate things :rolleyes: ), and then I ask, "Was the monkey provoked?" Apparently the 175lbs Chimp was set off by a dancing Elmo doll....

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I believe it was also on anti-depressant drugs at the time? As shocking as that sounds...

·
Registered
962 Posts
You must understand that any member of the primate family are WILD animals and can never be trusted like a dog can. As far as which can cause more damage, the dog only has its bite but the primate has teeth plus very strong arms, and a mental capacity to use those usfull limbs at a higher level.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You must understand that any member of the primate family are WILD animals and can never be trusted like a dog can. As far as which can cause more damage, the dog only has its bite but the primate has teeth plus very strong arms, and a mental capacity to use those usfull limbs at a higher level.
very true.....its also very frightening to think that they can also open doors w/no problem and use items they pick up as weapons!! and they are amazing climbers......no getting away from a chimp by climbing a tree or something like you could to get away from a dog.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
That was Chimp not a Monkey. So for one they don't seem credible. Anyway I'd rather be attacked by neither. I feel though that I'm more likely to be attacked/seriously injured by a Chimp then a dog. A dog can do horrific damage and kill but how likely are they to attack and in many cases easier to defend yourself or survive. Chimps have huge teeth, claws, lots of strength, higher intelligence. Chimps go for dismemberment hands/fingers, nose, ect and testicles on men that to me is scary itself.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have been following the chimp story and it's positively horrific. The 911 call is out there on the 'net if anyone cares to listen. Be forewarned, it's very graphic and heartwrenching.

The chimp was apparently not wanting to go back inside and the owner called a friend (someone the chimp was also very familiar with) to come help. The friend showed up with an Elmo doll to tempt the chimp inside, and he attacked her. The owner tried to beat him off with first a shovel, then by stabbing him with a butcher knife, both to no avail. Whether or not the owner gave the chimp Xanax remains to be seen (she first said she did, then said she did not). There is speculation that the chimp didn't recognize the woman (his owner's friend and coworker) because she had recently got a haircut/dye and arrived in an unfamiliar vehicle.

This was a chimp that had apparently never seen a moment of unkindness or mistreatment. He was raised from an infant to be just like the woman's child. He was 14 years old at the time of the attack. The attack lasted somewhere around 12 minutes.

The girl who attacked by the pit bull... was her face so horribly disfigured that you couldn't tell if she was a man or a woman? Would her friends and family members still know her, despite her injuries? This woman who was attacked by the chimp actually got her face eaten off to the point where rescue workers thought she was a man. There is talk that she will need a face transplant. There are other reports that her hands were actually bitten off (only one news story reported this, so I am unsure if it is true). I do know that the owner stated in the 911 call "He is eating her!"

I ask you, would a dog do this? (Especially a dog that had never been mistreated?) Would a dog ignore (or even survive) being stabbed by a butcher knife?

As someone else stated, Chimps are wild animals and the danger is much, much greater than with a dog. This chimp was 200 lbs... and MUCH, much stronger than a human of equal size.

The whole story is positively tragic.. both for the woman who was attacked and the women who was forced to stab the pet she had raised as a son for 14 years. My heart breaks for all involved.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
What do you say in a situation like that??
"You'd rather have Hepatitis, TB, or any of the several dangerous diseases a monkey could give you? =O"

No, but really, I dunno what I would have said, either.

Also, that chimp that attacked the woman was on NOT-PRESCRIBED Xanax, given to him to help him "chill out" by his owner. No bueno. She put it in his tea, if I remember correctly...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts