Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this website and am just loving it. I wanted to see if i could get help in identifying our puppy. He is a wonderful 9 month old puppy "Ace" who we adopted from Dalmatian Rescue this past Sept. His mommy was a Dalmatian, (as she was also surrendered to the rescue) but we don't know who his daddy was. We have heard a lot of people ask if he's a Whippet. We thought maybe part Labrador Retriever because he has a water resistant coat and webbed feet for swimming too. Any Whippet experts out there who may be able to confirm for us? He is 38 lbs. at 9 months old. (I have a 14 yr. old Dal who weighs 60 lbs. So he must be mixed with quite a smaller breed.) His bone structure is quite a bit smaller, but his legs are so long. His back is actually taller than my 14 yr. old Dalmatian Chip.
Any other ideas or opinions? He is incredibly fast and agile. In fact my daughter is excited and taking agility courses with him and looks forward to competing. You'll see from one of the pictures that he jumps high and with such ease.
Puppy hugs & kisses,
Tracey

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cant help with the wippet part of things but OMW she is gorgeous!
Always had a soft spot for "spotty dogs" ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant help with the wippet part of things but OMW she is gorgeous!
Always had a soft spot for "spotty dogs" ;)
Thank you so much for your kind words. Me too on the spotty dogs. I also noticed that you said OMW (I'm guessing Oh My Word?) instead of what people usually throw around. I really appreciate that! :)
-Tracey

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you are really desperate to find out ... you can get a dog DNA test done ... I've read about it and says it is 90% acurate.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
If you are really desperate to find out ... you can get a dog DNA test done ... I've read about it and says it is 90% acurate.
If you do a DNA test do a blood one...

·
Banned
593 Posts
Awww, he is too cute! I love black and white spotty dogs. :) My favorite! :D

I'm no expert but as for the breed guess, he probably has many breeds mixed in. I can defiantly see the Dalmatian though........ and for some reason I see a little pitty. :confused: I don't really see any whippet........ I see a pup in that awkward long stage. Remember at 9 months he still has a lot of growing and filling out to do. ;) ......But boy is he a handsome young doggy!

Sorry I wasn't of anymore help.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I've heard about them too, but always thought they were a little bit silly. He's your dog and you love him. Knowing his background is interesting and nice to know, but not necessary IMO.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I see whippit, pit bull, and perhaps border collie? It'd probably be easier to tell once he's fully developed =3 He's so adorable, though! That picture where he's laying on his bed with his front legs sticking out makes me think he's part Daddy Long-legs or something! Lol! XD

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Holy smokes does that pup have long legs. I am sure he will make a wonderful agility dog for your daughter. Just be careful not to let him jump much until he is completely done growing. Don't want to stress those joints. With his long legs he is going to fly over jumps and obstacles. :) He is a handsome looking pup too.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
He is simply adorable! Or though I may be a bit biased if you check out Bridgette down there in my signature :) Ace looks just like my Bridgette from the back! Very similar patterns and everything!

We think Bridgette is a pitbull/dalmatian mix. I see a bit of pittie in Ace's ears, but otherwise I'm not sure. It's always hard to say for sure. Very cute though!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Very good looking boy :)

its hard to say.....I see a little pit in the ears maybe?....possibly GH or Whippet......I don't see any lab ....webbed toes are common in lot of breeds besides labs....actually many APBT have webbed feet

the problem with the DNA tests is that they don't include every breed:(

was he surrendered to the rescue or did he get picked up?....you said he came in with his mom ......where did they come from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you do a DNA test do a blood one...

Thank you! Great advice. I found this youtube video so funny with the results. I will look into how much the blood test costs. We are curious, but of course the results will not change how we feel about Ace. :)

Very good looking boy :)

its hard to say.....I see a little pit in the ears maybe?....possibly GH or Whippet......I don't see any lab ....webbed toes are common in lot of breeds besides labs....actually many APBT have webbed feet

the problem with the DNA tests is that they don't include every breed:(

was he surrendered to the rescue or did he get picked up?....you said he came in with his mom ......where did they come from?
Yes, he was surrendered with his mom as well as the rest of the litter. Dal rescue in Brentwood, CA. Thank you everyone or your responses! Very interesting!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called my vet and they don't yet do the blood tests yet and said it was a fairly new procedure. I am tempted to do the saliva test just to see what comes out. Any ideas of a website to get it done and the costs associated?
Thank you!
Tracey

·
Registered
20,765 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I heard those DNA tests were not accurate. But the dog does look to have some whippet, my 2 cents..
You have to check what breeds they cover.....like I said if there is APBT in the mix it will not show up on most of the test out there because APBT is not listed ....so yes the results can be misleading :)....but maybe fun to try it....:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts