Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a pure bred husky (female) and a dogo argentino mix pitbull (male). They are both puppies and i want to find the best food for them(Just FYI I am not trying to breed them) . I found that wellness core large puppy food have been on just about every list for the best large/giant dog food. It is a bit more pricy so im wondering if its ok to mix it with another large/giant breed dog food that is a little less pricy? would my dogs benefits or is it simply useless? if its good to mix then what other brand of food should i mix it with? if not what brand should i use that would be best for these two pups?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
You're probably better off choosing a high quality, but budget friendly food. Wellness Core is rather expensive, in my opinion, and there are other options that would fit your budget better and be just as good for your dogs. I just switched to Victor, which I think is a very good food, but a littler easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I currently have a mix 2 different foods in the same container for my dog, Both foods have different protein sources. I usually rotate brands/different flavours once a bag is finished. They had a sale on one of the foods that i wanted to try, so i grabbed a bag, and instead of having it sit there waiting til i finished my other bag of food i just mixed it all in together. My impatience to see if he liked the food most likely prompted me opening it up lol

I dont see a problem with you mixing 2 different brands.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So much hype over this or that in dog food. Go with food the dog likes that provides the recommended nutrients for large breed dogs the age of yours. Check out the manufactures, choose a brand form one that is open about sharing pictures and information form inside the plant that makes the food. If it's clean, good quality ingredients and, meets the needs and tastes of your dogs and, your budget, feed it.

As for mixing brands, I do that with the small portion of kibble my dogs get. Pure Balance is always in there, that's my go to if they have to eat kibble only for a bit but, I also mix in whatever quality food is on sale from Sportmix Wholesomes to TOTW and, others sold at Tractor Supply or Wal Mart (only two stores in the closest town to me that even sell dog food.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Currently sitting on a too large supply of pricy mail order kibble that the breeder was feeding our dog (Life's Abundance), from day one I've been mixing in something less marketing kickback scheme-y of a similar quality (Taste of The Wild) to make the transition easier. She hasn't displayed any digestive issues or preference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts