Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Shambles x Malinois.
My training friends and I have actually joked about this....a litter of puppies between Lars and a working lines Mal or BC would have enough energy to power NYC. LOL

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
My training friends and I have actually joked about this....a litter of puppies between Lars and a working lines Mal or BC would have enough energy to power NYC. LOL
Shambles was out for a 12 mile hike this morning with some swimming mixed in. And yet, right now, he's systematically disrupting the peace of each of the dogs between buzzing in and out of the house. This is what I get for putting my shoes on. Always means I'm clearly going to take him somewhere.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
They could be real. . .Penny's eyes are that color, and her fur is just about that color (but fluffier). Everyone always says she looks scary, but why would blue eyes be scary? Blue-eyed people wouldn't like it if I said that about them, LOL. I wouldn't guess pit/Rottie/GSD though; not sure any of those breeds carry blue eyes.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I once had a American Eskimo/Chihuahua. Mean little mix but very devoted to me.

A client has a rott/ husky mix Looks like a rott with a tail but has icy blue eyes. Very intimidating dog that you just did not know if it was nice due to the eye color.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Ice blue eyes freak everyone out. Even Pepper's halvsie eyes freak people out.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
They look real to me. I only say that because I once had a pitch black Lab/Husky/Shar Pei mix (known breeds) who had ice blue eyes that looked exactly like that and stood out exactly like that. Beautiful and unnerving.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Seems like we're all assuming the worst case scenario here: combine the worst traits of each breed and then label the result as unmanageable. But in reality, some of those worst traits may get diluted in the mix. You could just as easily end up with all the best traits of each breed.

For example...

BC x hound-y hound: Energy and drive of a BC with the voice, nose, and motivational challenge of a hound
Kit is probably BC x pointer, and pointers are bred from a bunch of different hounds. She has the brain, drive, and energy of a BC, but lacks the BC neuroses, environmental and sound sensitivities, and the disdain for other dogs that's often seen in BC's. She has the friendly, goofy attitude of a hound, along with a hound's nose and food motivation, but lacks the voice and the independent attitude.

·
Registered
416 Posts
hounds do not equal pointer...one was bred to track the other to airscent, one was bred to tree and attack, one was bred to stalk and point, wait to flush. Pointers may be bred from "a bunch of different hounds" but have a completely different working style and working partnership with their hunter then a hound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gracie is an Aussie/lab mix. I'm hoping for all of the best traits... When we went to "rescue" her, the people had a pit/chihuahua mix in the back. The lady said she paid quite a bit for a chihuahua and when a woman at the vet said,"aww... Look at the little pit mix," she looked around like, Where? Don't think that's a mix I would want.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Chow/Pit Bull mix.

My parents bred about 5 litters of these while I was growing up. -_-
Yeah that would definitely be a handful... but OMG I am imagining little lion like dogs from that mix haha do you have any photos? I bet they were adorable (but definitely scary lol)

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah that would definitely be a handful... but OMG I am imagining little lion like dogs from that mix haha do you have any photos? I bet they were adorable (but definitely scary lol)
There's a pit/chow mix that we walk past on one of our routes into nowhere/hiking territory and I'll be honest:

The dog scared the crap out of me a few times, because it's completely unrestrained and rushed up. That was the dog that got Thud's first protective reaction. We've been past there a half-dozen times since then, and he's actually a really nice dog. Who is lonely and kind of sad and breaks my heart. Total luck though, I'm sure, rather than breed mix or, certainly, socialization/training.

He's just about knee high, super muscular and stocky, deep red, plushy/stand out, short fur, prick ears and a curly tail. Little bitty eyes and a very slightly droppy face.

Looks like this, a lot, but shorter and without the sable-ing.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Seems like we're all assuming the worst case scenario here: combine the worst traits of each breed and then label the result as unmanageable. But in reality, some of those worst traits may get diluted in the mix. You could just as easily end up with all the best traits of each breed.
Yes, that's what I was doing. Knowingly, intentionally, though.

Obviously you could just as easily get the best of both worlds or something in between. I'm just imagining a hypothetical mix of breeds and certain associated traits that would be a nightmare for me to own.

My intention was not to step on toes here. I'm sure the mixes I mentioned exist and are lovely dogs for many people. But the worst case scenarios of BC/hound, BC/terrier traits would be wrongwrongwrong for me.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
This actually looks a LOT like my childhood dog, LK. Except he was solid black. Same coat type, thick tail, both ears down, and a little more pittie/boxy face.

I will have to dig out some pictures and scan them! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mal x BC (this dog was NUTS, totally NUTS)
Herder x Hound
Herder x Terrier
APBT x Dachshund
I've got a herder x terrier, and it works out quite well! She's a drivey little thing. She's got a good balance of terrier tenacity/prey drive, and ACD seriousness. Makes her great for dog sports! She's definitely a good worker.

I agree on the herder x hound though. They're pretty opposite.

I don't imagine bulldog type breeds x spitz-y breeds turn out very well. I feel like you'd get a very stubborn dog that would never listen.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts