Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yeah. I gotta admit I think a border-jack is my dream dog. >.<
There was a borderstaffy at the last trial... That dog was insane. In a fantastic super loud way. It was amazing how loud that thing screeched. Super fast too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
A lady at the dog park has a borderstack that I'm in love with. Not sure about the logistics of living with one while maintaining my sanity...but I've told her he's mine if anything ever happens to her so I don't think I should really worry about "sanity".

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I bet if I asked real nice I could breed him to Sloan.
oh my god. I don't know if I should cry or ask to be put on the waiting list.

Also, I really hope that any Sham babies would take after Linney or the mother in size.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Chow and any given drivey terrier.
I'd climb a tree and hope for the best.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Border Collie x Rottweiler (or any Mastiff type dog)

The protectiveness of a Mastiff combined with the lightning quick reflexes of a Border Collie equals a bite first and ask questions later type dog. Most of your guardian breeds are safe to be around because they aren't quick to fire.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
My vote at the moment is herding + guardian. The reasons are kind of obvious, but.

You combine intelligence, drive and energy (as well as a tendency to bond hard with a single person) with stubborn, protective and enormous and the result is... something.

Well, it'll herd and guard your livestock, I guess? If you can convince it to care. They're popular/fairly common (though usually BCXPyr), but it just seems like a conflict to me, even if you remove Thud's weirdness from the concept.
GSD'S,belgian Malinois,Belgian shepherds,Bouvier and Rottweilers are herding + guardian breeds.

I admit that with my rotty who has decent intelligence,drive,energy yet head strong,sharp and protective. If he had even more energy it would be a nightmare.

I have seen a border collie/Rottweiler mix,and heard of another and they where not bad dogs.

I saw sign before advertising wolf/pit bull mixes,that seems like a nightmare combination. I also heard long ago of a rescued wolf/pit bull mix that was used in dog fighting in Mexico.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
GSD'S,belgian Malinois,Belgian shepherds,Bouvier and Rottweilers are herding + guardian breeds.

I admit that with my rotty who has decent intelligence,drive,energy yet head strong,sharp and protective. If he had even more energy it would be a nightmare.

I have seen a border collie/Rottweiler mix,and heard of another and they where not bad dogs.

I saw sign before advertising wolf/pit bull mixes,that seems like a nightmare combination. I also heard long ago of a rescued wolf/pit bull mix that was used in dog fighting in Mexico.

Well, I did always say that I wouldn't be the best rott owner in the world. Thud isn't a bad dog, even for a very large teenage puppy. In fact he's a really, really GOOD dog - and stupid sweet, the vast majority of the time. So far as I can tell he's a GSDXPyr (or anatolian). He's wonderful, but he's an intense dog in some ways I'm not as used to, as I once was. The free-thinking and hard-headeness of a pyr, combined with the crazy energy and drive of a GSD, and he's been his own kind of learning experience. I suspect I'll like him more in another year or two, though :p

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Muggsy. He was a GSD x Golden Retriever. I've known more than a few and while they were all gorgeous (please don't take my sig as a good representation. Muggsy was stunning. We couldn't go outside without someone commenting on him.), the temperaments were iffy at best.

GSD (proper) temperament: aloof with strangers, deeply loyal to owner, serious

Golden (proper) temperament: goofy, friendly with everyone, playful

Now try and mix those. You can't. What you end up with is a dog confused by its own temperament. Don't get me wrong, I'd cut off my left arm for another month with Muggsy, but his temperament was an issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know a Shar Pei x Rottweiler mix. His litter was planned... 8 puppies, he's the only one alive today. His siblings all attacked their owners... and one killed a Papillon. Yasko, the only one alive, is dog aggressive and has bitten a human. The town is trying to put him down as well- he attacked a Schafer and almost killed it.

That's a train wreck!
I OWN a Rott x Shar pei mix....someone who intentionally bred one would HAVE to be INSANE. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Tazzerin...but I would NOT trust 99% of common people to own a dog like him...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Bulldog x Basset Hound

Ultimate laziness, ultimate stubborness.

Physically it would be a nightmare too. Brachy, plus heavy set, massive wrinkles and bow legs.
I actually know someone with that exact mix. The worst part is that they actually got it from a breeder.

It was honestly the cutest little puppy and SO soft. It's legs are horrible, muzzle isn't too bad actually, and barrel chested. Sad droopy blood shot eyes and long droopy ears. It's so ugly it's cute. Personality is pretty good. The owner's daughter takes it out jogging with her every once in a while but it's still over weight and pretty lazy usually.

Already had knee problems and it's not that old yet, only 5 I think. Pretty sad.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Muggsy. He was a GSD x Golden Retriever. I've known more than a few and while they were all gorgeous (please don't take my sig as a good representation. Muggsy was stunning. We couldn't go outside without someone commenting on him.), the temperaments were iffy at best.

GSD (proper) temperament: aloof with strangers, deeply loyal to owner, serious

Golden (proper) temperament: goofy, friendly with everyone, playful

Now try and mix those. You can't. What you end up with is a dog confused by its own temperament. Don't get me wrong, I'd cut off my left arm for another month with Muggsy, but his temperament was an issue.
I knew someone who had a GSD/Golden mix - it was an AWESOME dog! It was like the two different temperaments balanced eachother out. He was goofy & friendly, but also wouldn't hesitate to get between his owner and potential "danger".

I know a lot of GSD/lab mixes as well - including Bella. Labs can have a Golden-like goofy, over-friendly personality....but the shepherd half kinda keeps it in check. I don't think Bella would let anyone she didn't know dognap her or anything.

But then all dogs are individuals as we all know :)

As far as bad mixes, I think any protective breed mixes (I saw a really scary-looking dog on Google images that was part Rotti/GSD/Pit and something else). I can't imagine that being a well-balanced dog temperament-wise. But who knows?

I wouldn't even want to think of living with a Mal/BC. That is intensity on top of intensity.
One of those apocalypse mixes TWAB mentioned! I can picture a dog of that mix spontaneously combusting....lol

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
There was a borderstaffy at the last trial... That dog was insane. In a fantastic super loud way. It was amazing how loud that thing screeched. Super fast too.
I have a Border Collie and my sister has a Staffy puppy. OMG!, the two of them together, handful!.

My dog is often around another BC, easy!. She is also around a Shih Tzu at least 5 times a week, easy!.

But put Holly and Lola together, I am glad when the day is over they are both mad and very active dogs. Maybe it doesn't help that Lola is still a puppy.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts