Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all done this from the physical appearance and compounding health issues point of view I think, but what about temperaments.

What do you think would just be a train-wreck? Is there anything?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Knowing what features of my border collie mix I value and which are challenging:

BC x hound-y hound: Energy and drive of a BC with the voice, nose, and motivational challenge of a hound

BC x terrier-y terrier: I know people breed these for sport, and I know WHY, but owning one would kill me. Add feisty, vocal, tenacious, dog-selective, and abundantly affectionate to certain traits of my dog? Oh my God, nooo.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
lol.. in my book any terrier because of their design to pack so much in a small package would be a hand full,, I can't imagine mixing more terrier in to the mix..

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vote at the moment is herding + guardian. The reasons are kind of obvious, but.

You combine intelligence, drive and energy (as well as a tendency to bond hard with a single person) with stubborn, protective and enormous and the result is... something.

Well, it'll herd and guard your livestock, I guess? If you can convince it to care. They're popular/fairly common (though usually BCXPyr), but it just seems like a conflict to me, even if you remove Thud's weirdness from the concept.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I am almost convinced that Faxon is husky and something herding with a hint of hound. Why? Because walks are just... wow. She walks fine on a leash but once she finds a scent no amount of pulling, calling or coercing will budge her. She can also be a little slow to learn during training even though she's quite eager to learn. Luckily that nose isn't enough to lead her away when I have her off leash in my yard.

Terrier/chihuahua is perfect. I would have another in a heartbeat after Roxie's passed on. Although her prey drive and her over-excitableness when training/walking get to me sometimes, but those are probably both just the terrier side and nothing to do with the Chihuahua. Not to say I wouldn't have another Faxon--she's perfect too!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Knowing what features of my border collie mix I value and which are challenging:

BC x hound-y hound: Energy and drive of a BC with the voice, nose, and motivational challenge of a hound

BC x terrier-y terrier: I know people breed these for sport, and I know WHY, but owning one would kill me. Add feisty, vocal, tenacious, dog-selective, and abundantly affectionate to certain traits of my dog? Oh my God, nooo.
You just described my Dycen..

·
Registered
398 Posts
I know a Shar Pei x Rottweiler mix. His litter was planned... 8 puppies, he's the only one alive today. His siblings all attacked their owners... and one killed a Papillon. Yasko, the only one alive, is dog aggressive and has bitten a human. The town is trying to put him down as well- he attacked a Schafer and almost killed it.

That's a train wreck!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I've always thought Pug/Beagle was a bad mix. Dachshund/Yorkie is another that's not so great. Theoretically, I think large terrier/herder is a bad one. The go-go-go of a herder with the prey drive of a terrier? Probably not what most people want.

I have heard of LGDs getting pregnant by coyotes, and I always thought those poor dogs must be so conflicted about what to do with the sheep :p.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
My vote at the moment is herding + guardian. The reasons are kind of obvious, but.

You combine intelligence, drive and energy (as well as a tendency to bond hard with a single person) with stubborn, protective and enormous and the result is... something.

Well, it'll herd and guard your livestock, I guess? If you can convince it to care. They're popular/fairly common (though usually BCXPyr), but it just seems like a conflict to me, even if you remove Thud's weirdness from the concept.
I love my Sam, but, along the same lines...Belgian Malinois x with anything big. Really...those dogs don't need additional size/weight on their side...really. The only thing I can think of that would be worse would be a Belgian Malinois x with a JRT. OMG!!! :p It would be small, but can you imagine the fury and the chaos?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Bulldog x Basset Hound

Ultimate laziness, ultimate stubborness.

Physically it would be a nightmare too. Brachy, plus heavy set, massive wrinkles and bow legs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We've all done this from the physical appearance and compounding health issues point of view I think, but what about temperaments.

What do you think would just be a train-wreck? Is there anything?
Sounds like a good Conan O'Brien bit.
How about a dog aggressive breed and a suspicious of people breed.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I freaking love herder x terrier mixes. I want one one day.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I freaking love herder x terrier mixes. I want one one day.
Yeah. I gotta admit I think a border-jack is my dream dog. >.<

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was thinking this the other day about my smallest dog, unfortunate breed mix along with no apparant training before I got him. He's lhasa apso and terrier, probably jack russell. I love him to death and he's improved a lot, but sometimes...

Another unfortunate mix is an akita/apbt mix that comes into the store sometimes. Doesn't like most strangers and is a bit grumbly with other dogs, nothing too bad, but I do kind of keep an eye on him when he's there.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts