Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to post this in the dog health forum, but it won't allow me to, so I apologize if this is not the appropriate place. admin please let me know how to proceed.

in the mean time:

I have a 6 yr old Pomeranian poodle mix, I assume he has something else in him because he is larger than the "standard" pomapoo. Anyways, I've had him since he was a pup, and he generally has good health.

A few years ago he had his first seizure, but it was random so there wasn't really anything I could do about it at the time. He didn't have any more seizures till well after a year later.

now it seems they are getting more frequent. at first it was about every 6 months, then every couple of months. then he had one about 3 weeks ago, one on Saturday, and one just this morning. I know I should take him to the vet, but I'm afraid the only thing they will tell me is there's not really anything they can do except put him on meds. and right now I can't afford a vet visit that may not yield any results. nor medication that may or may not work.

so I guess my question is, does anyone have experience with seizures in a pom mix? thank you

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I've yet to see anti seizure meds not work when dosed and given correctly. The vet is really your best option, and unfortunately if you can't get the seizures under control then it's likely that your pets health could continue to get worse. You may have to call around to find a vet that is affordable enough, don't forget to ask if they have any coupons or discounts. Ideally a vet will want to do some diagnostic work up, but I'm sure if you explain your financial constraints they may be willing to work with you and get your pet the relief he needs.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
My one Shih Tzu x Maltese has had seizures for the past few years. They did a bunch of testing but never did figure out what was causing them. They started out just a couple a year, then a few more (a lot like your dog). Last year he had about one a month, from April to June, but the Vet does not want to put him on anything till they are closer together. They did give me some rectal Atavan to give him but so far I have not use it as the seizures do not last very long, then he gets up and is fine. He has now not had a seizure since last July (5 months). It is possible it is epilepsy but no real way to find out. When he does have one, he usually throws up, goes rigid and falls over and lies there stiff but does not have grand mal ones where they really thrash around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.