Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we picked up a beautiful mix breed puppy from some adoption agency. They told us hes a Border Collie/Lab/Boxer, what I think he is, is Border Collie/Lab/Pitbull. I'd like to hear from some experts if I'm correct or just paranoid.

I don't really care about the pitpull part but it wasn't on my "Puppy Dog List". Anyway heres a picture of Bruce Almighty the terror of my cat @ 10 weeks:

Bruce at 10 weeks.jpg

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I feel like you're just saying Pit because it's brindle... Personally I see neither of those.

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
I see neither Boxer nor bully breed. Other dogs come in brindle, such as Plott Hounds (more common in the US South), several terrier breeds, and border collies among other breeds. At 10 weeks, lots of puppies look like generic mixes of breeds; even purebreds can look similar to other breeds when they're young.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have worked with many bully breeds and to be quite honest, I agree with the other two posters outside of the brindle pattern I see no evidence to support the pitbull theory... and, as stated, there are several breeds that carry for brindle coats, so you can't really go by that either.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't see Pit, collie or lab right off the bat either. Its too hard to tell when they're so young, it will be easier to make a better guess once he starts to grow a bit, but like others have mentioned there are alot of brindle breeds out there so its tough to say for sure at the moment. How big is he right now? Anyway, for fun, I'm going to guess Akita/Mastiff - both of these breeds come in brindle, but it looks like it could be a fair sized pup, and a google search of mastiff/akita brought up some pups that looked similar, however there could be some lab or plott hound or something to that affect if the sizing is off. This is just a random guess though. Please post more pictures, from different angles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see Pit, collie or lab right off the bat either. Its too hard to tell when they're so young, it will be easier to make a better guess once he starts to grow a bit, but like others have mentioned there are alot of brindle breeds out there so its tough to say for sure at the moment. How big is he right now? Anyway, for fun, I'm going to guess Akita/Mastiff - both of these breeds come in brindle, but it looks like it could be a fair sized pup, and a google search of mastiff/akita brought up some pups that looked similar, however there could be some lab or plott hound or something to that affect if the sizing is off. This is just a random guess though. Please post more pictures, from different angles
I say pitbull purely based on his brindle coloring plus what I have seen in the shelters

Right now hes pushing 20lbs at 14 weeks. Also this is my first true puppy as I've always had dogs in the 10-18 months. IMG_20120622_141441.jpg IMG_20120622_141406.jpg IMG_20120622_141434.jpg IMG_20120622_141514.jpg IMG_20120622_141510.jpg IMG_20120622_141323.jpg IMG_20120622_141348.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
I say pitbull purely based on his brindle coloring plus what I have seen in the shelters

Right now hes pushing 20lbs at 14 weeks. Also this is my first true puppy as I've always had dogs in the 10-18 months. View attachment 34666 View attachment 34667 View attachment 34668 View attachment 34669 View attachment 34670 View attachment 34671 View attachment 34672
Yeah - keep in mind there are other brindled breeds out there, but you are right in that a lot of pit mixes end up in shelters. However, based on his size, and these new pics you just posted.. I still don't see any pit, and the size just seems way off. 20lbs at 3.5 months old.. that's likely gonna be a fairly large dog. Its not impossible there is some pit in him, but it just doesn't seem apparent at the moment, he doesn't really have any pit features other then the brindle. I think i'm going to stick with my guess that he is a mastiff mix. Brindle is quite common in mastiff, he appears to have the body shape and size for it, but the shaggier coat is coming from something. I came across a picture on the internet of a full grown dog that looked like it could have been yours as a puppy, and it was claimed to be akita/mastiff mix, so that is why I originally guess that. It could almost be pyrnese/mastiff mix.. or something to that effect... maybe someone can correct me though if my sizing is off.. he just seems like way too big of a pup at 3.5 months to be pit/lab/collie mix.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Still not seeing pit and I worked with many pits over the years. My guess would lean more towards golden, boxer and/or some type of Mastiff breed ( like pyrs, english or tibetian mastiff) more so than pit.

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
Nope, not seeing pit bull type in his features. Of course, that means basically nothing in regards to his actual genetics (Pumpkin Pie litter anyone?) but it does make the bully breeds lower on the list of likely breed candidates. No Boxer traits either, IMO.

That said, so what? If you are worried about breed restrictions, since he looks absolutely nothing like a bully breed then you should be in the clear. Other than that, he is who he is.

I think there are about 50 breeds that can come in brindle (as in, purebreds can be brindle even if its not a common or accepted color within the breed)

I'd guess Plott Hound and something with longer hair (shepherd type maybe), depending on your location.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yah I'm thinking plott hound or mastiff mix...

Here are some pictures for references..

Plott hound
plott-hound_lost_en_roanoke-virginia_132.jpg

Mastiff/Pyrnese
mollymack_pyrmix11.jpg

Akita/Mastiff
PICT0073.jpg

Border collie/Pit
mutt-border-collie-american-pit-bull-terrier-mix-300x300.jpg

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, not seeing pit bull type in his features. Of course, that means basically nothing in regards to his actual genetics (Pumpkin Pie litter anyone?) but it does make the bully breeds lower on the list of likely breed candidates. No Boxer traits either, IMO.

That said, so what? If you are worried about breed restrictions, since he looks absolutely nothing like a bully breed then you should be in the clear. Other than that, he is who he is.

I think there are about 50 breeds that can come in brindle (as in, purebreds can be brindle even if its not a common or accepted color within the breed)

I'd guess Plott Hound and something with longer hair (shepherd type maybe), depending on your location.
I wasn't worried about breed restrictions just curious as I never saw the parents and just going off what I was told. Also I didn't want a mostly pit mix (aka 90% pit 10% something else) but obviously my dog is sweet looking and people have no problem approaching him and saying hello so I'm stoked.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It's just the size that was throwing me off.. It looks fairly big but upon looking it up 20lbs for a 3.5 month old pup isn't overly big for some breeds. ive looked more closely at some brindle bull mastiff and plott hound puppies and the face and floppy ears closely resembles this pup.. More so then boxer, etc.. Just can't decide where the fluffy coat could be coming from.. Golden, pyrenese...hmmm who knows, but i think it's safe to say there is a good chance there is no pit..

And he is certainly gorgeous , congrats :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh my gosh! Your dog looks just like mine! The rescue I got her from said she was part Australian Shepherd, but they didn't know what else.

028.jpg http://www.dogforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64626&d=1366509369&thumb=1&stc=1

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
My Doberman female puppy is 36 lbs. at 3 1/2 months and she is not going to be overly big, probably around 50-60 lbs at the most. I think your pup could have some German Shepherd and maybe some Hound in it. Probably a mix of a mix. Hard to tell when they are puppies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts