Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about at the end of my rope with George. He's been just one huge pile of anxiety since we moved into a new place at the beginning of the month.

While I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth etc before bed just now, he tore the lid off a box in my room and was pulling out all of the contents. Wednesday night while I was out and he was home with my roommate, he got into another box that had a bag of kibble in it and devoured at least a pound of that, which I was unaware of.. so took him to the vet for a set of x-rays the next day worried that he had a foreign body and we were going to be looking at a couple grand for surgery.

He's also blown the door off his crate, twice (no longer have that crate since it clearly wasn't going to contain him anyway), the day I moved in and got into SO MUCH of my stuff that was in the room and hadn't been put away yet. And when I was in the shower not too long ago, I came out to find that he'd grabbed my work bag, torn it open and devoured an entire pack of Halls cough drops.

He's a mess in public, constantly stressed, and has started losing tolerance for other dogs. I take him with me everywhere I go because I'm afraid to leave him alone. When I put he and Corona in the bathroom on Thursday so I could go to my interview, he was thrashing around so badly that I was worried he would get hurt, so I ended up taking him with me.

Last night I took him over to my boyfriend's place with me. We were going out, so I sedated him and put him in the bathroom. That seemed to work ok actually, but that's hardly a reasonable long term solution.

My stress level is through the roof, so I have no doubt he's feeling that, but he IS the source of some of my stress, so it's just a vicious circle.

Training/boarding etc are out of the question at the moment since I just lost my only measly source of income. I have a friend who I would ask to take him for a little while (until I get SOME stability of some sort in my life, since at this point I am strongly having to consider the possibility of moving again), she's a great dog person and I'd trust her with him.. but she has 4 active dogs of her own and a full time job. Sending him to stay with my folks for a bit would at least be a low stress environment where someone is home nearly 24/7.. but my dad is not a dog person at all, and my mum is really a dog noob and not at all equipped to handle a dog with issues.

At this point, I'm going to try really hard to incorporate more activity into our days, despite the crap weather. Exercise would do us both some good. But beyond that, I haven't got a clue what I can do for this boy, and it's killing me. His quality of life is terrible, and that falls squarely on my shoulders.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Medications? Or has that been tried (I know you said you sedated him so obviously some meds are in use, but I mean daily anti-anxiety drugs)? At this point, if he's that miserable, I think it's time for a little Xanax (or whatever works for him). Sometimes the brain chemistry is just too wacky to fix itself.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is on clomicalm daily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
He needs to walk with you, every day, for 45 minutes a day, next to you, not pulling, and focused on you. He has excess energy, and he will find ways to get rid of that excess energy if you don't find a healthy and calm way for him to do it (walks are the best healthy and calm way to get rid of excess energy).

Do you already do this?

You are right, he will feel your stress. Dogs are our mirrors. Being calm will not only calm him down, but give you more control over him (dogs only follow calm leaders, not stressed or overly emotional leaders).

More info please!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Is the Clomicalm helping in any way? Sometimes drugs can cause the opposite of the intended effect. It's called "paradoxical reaction". Something meant to calm revs you up instead, something that usually makes people tired makes you hyper, etc. Humans and dogs can both have that happen.

Other than that, moving is so tough on dogs. They just love routine and moving messes that up completely. It took Muggsy a good three months to completely recover from moving (we moved three times) and the first week all he did was pant, pace and lose his housetraining. The next month would be a lot of whining, chewing and forgetting all obedience commands. The next two months, he would slowly get back to normal. It was a nightmare, but he did calm down eventually.

I second a call for lots of exercise, and I'd add in NILIF and a return to lots of positive training. Work his body, work his mind and remind him that you're in charge of things, you will take care of him and he can relax and let you do your thing.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I wish i had answers for you but I don't. I can only offer online support!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
have you tried B 1 coupled with meletonan (spelling????) we have a few of our nervous, weaving race horses with issues on it & it was like night & day! no more messed up stalls or sweaty horses in the morning. plus its a natural approach as opposed to chemicals, i think some animals are lacking certian things, & i know i have read somewhere that if a person or animal lacks the proper balance of B vitimins it can lead to nervousness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts