Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

When we got our MinPin, Bandit, at 8 weeks old - we decided to not crop his tail. My husband and I felt that it was a little too late for that, and just kept his tail how it was.

It's never been a problem. He's chased it occasionally, but as of a week or two ago that all changed.

He's been chewing near the base of his tail lately and frequently. I keep an eye on him when he does this to make sure he's not hurting himself, but I don't see what would drive him to this action.

It's not fleas. We've given him a bath, and the cat doesn't have them either. Not worms either.

Any clues on what could be wrong?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I agree with all the above also......is there a bad odor by his rear? If so.....and I mean stinky bad,.......that is how my one dog does when his anal glands need expressed. I have had to deal with this for 5 years now. I take him to have them expressed because his are not in the place to where I can do it myself. I would have a vet check it out first though, because I was told left unattended to it can lead to infections in the dogs system and then you have even more health issues.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Agreed with all of the above. Check out his anal glands.

BTW, a Miniature Pinscher is not a Miniature Doberman. They're not related at all.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yep, a Min Pin is not a Dobe (though both are bred from the Manchester Terrier) and yes, 8 weeks is too late to dock (docking should be done at 3-8 days old).

As far as the tail chewing I agree that it's most likely either the Anal glands or some type of allergy, another possibility is a skin infection of some type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts