Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker of mine just stopped by my desk to ask if I was looking for a new dog. Apparently her roomate has decided that her 8 month old Miniature Austrailian Shepherd is too much work and wants to re-home it.

I've never heard of a Mini Aussie. It this a real thing, or is some BYB just breeding for extreme size?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Well, wiki won't say whether it's a BYB thing or not, but it does say that they were created by breeding Aussies for size. They are still herding dogs, however, so no wonder it's a "too much work". I love me a border collie, but until I get a herd of sheep, I'll leave them to the experts.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am not %100 certain of the breed recognition, but they are a breed, and I know plenty of them. Our obedience trainer had several of them, and my cousin has a couple of them as well. My Kelpie mix, Thumper has some mini aussie in him as well, his Mom was half border collie half mini aussie.

They sure are freakin cute though!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a pair, brother and sister. The breed is recognized now as the "Miniature American Shephard", but are best known as Miniature Australian Shephards. This seems to ruffle the feathers of Australian Shephard owners. Depending on the breeder, I think alot come from breeding small shephards with smaller dog breeds because some breeders even sell "Toy Australian Shephards".

My male is 54lbs and the female is 42... well above the breeder's expectation of them and yes, they are ATLEAST as high energy as the full size standard Australian Shephard. They are SO much fun.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I believe they are newly recognized as a breed by the AKC, but called "Miniature American Shepherd." Here's the breed club website: http://www.mascusa.org/

It's not a BYB thing, although the dog in question could certainly be a BYB product (just like any other dog of unknown provenance).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a BYB thing, although the dog in question could certainly be a BYB product (just like any other dog of unknown provenance).
Of course. I know nothing about this dog, other than it needs a new home (which I may have helped to find!). I was just curious if "Mini Aussie" was along the same lines as "Teacup Poodle", which last time I checked (which was many years ago) what just a catch phrase for "Teeny tiny Poodle bred waaay smaller than the standard"

They definitely are adorable!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Of course. I know nothing about this dog, other than it needs a new home (which I may have helped to find!). I was just curious if "Mini Aussie" was along the same lines as "Teacup Poodle", which last time I checked (which was many years ago) what just a catch phrase for "Teeny tiny Poodle bred waaay smaller than the standard"

I think this was kinda how it started out but then they started crossing with other breeds to make the size smaller (and giving some of them a very bug eyed look.) The breed standard of a standard aussie is rather wide, so you do have some small Aussies (smaller than the standard) often pop up. I have a small Aussie right @ barely 18inches she's only about 32lbs (a little bit of a tubby) and I have a huge one that is right @ 23 inches and well over 60lbs (without an ounce of fat on him, he's just a big boy, who looks even bigger with his big fluffy winter coat.) Both are within the Australian shepherd breed standards.

And yes there is quite a bit of controversy over this. I myself am not a supporter, I think the look of some of the dogs they're breeding is NOT an Aussie's look (though I admit that some do look ok) and it shouldn't be cross bred (otherwise it's not a true Aussie) I'm quite sure that's the reason AKC has renamed it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wikipedia tells me that these dogs are CUTE!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the feeling. Every morning when the alarm goes off, Mercy hops into bed for a snuggle.
Great way to start the day, terrible way to get motivated for work.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I remember an owner on a Dutch forum saying that the Mini Aussies she has are the type of dog the true Australian Shepherd is supposed to be. (insinuating the modern Aussies are too large)

Whatever that means. I've read and heard so much already that I don't know what's truth or not. Oh, and the dogs above owner has are apparently not Miniature American Shepherds, but they're authentic Aussies just bred down in size, according to the owner.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I remember an owner on a Dutch forum saying that the Mini Aussies she has are the type of dog the true Australian Shepherd is supposed to be. (insinuating the modern Aussies are too large)

Whatever that means. I've read and heard so much already that I don't know what's truth or not. Oh, and the dogs above owner has are apparently not Miniature American Shepherds, but they're authentic Aussies just bred down in size, according to the owner.
I would disagree with your friend. I would love to know how modern aussies are too large actually, I have a working bred girl who comes in right in at 18" and around 30 pounds, she could not be considered a large dog by any stretch of the imagination. If you go back and look at the founding dogs of the breed (it's important to remember that the aussie is not a very 'old' breed at all), many of them look very similar to what you see today.

Now are some of the dogs I see in the akc ring in particular too heavy boned with too much coat for my tastes? Sure. But to insinuate that the minis are what an aussie is supposed to be is just baffling to me.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Minis are a real breed now called "Miniature American Shepherd" They were started in the 70's with the breeder known as Sandy Travis, she bred small herding type unregistered mixes with Aussies with the intentions of creating a new small breed that had the beauty and intelligence of the Australian Shepherd. Sandy crossed her dogs with Australian Shepherds and picked the smallest puppies in each litter and again crossed those with Aussies. This breeding program was passed on to many different breeders always mixing the progeny of the original "Travis dogs" with purebred Australian Shepherds, and always in turn choosing the smallest in each litter to carry on with. Eventually they starting crossing the progeny with other progeny and only infrequently crossed with Australian Shepherds.

Today the TRUE Minis are indistinguishable from the Aussie save for the fact that they are REQUIRED to ALWAYS be between 14 and 18 inches tall. Aussies (especially bitches) can frequently be under 18 inches tall but they are not Minis, and Aussies have no size requirements so there can be and is some overlap between the breeds.

IMPORTANT
DO NOT mistake the greed bred AussieXPapilllon and AussieXPomeranian mixes for "Minis" There are breeders out there who are breeding these dogs and trying to sell them as Minis but they are not and the Mini club does NOT recognize these mixes.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I would disagree with your friend. I would love to know how modern aussies are too large actually, I have a working bred girl who comes in right in at 18" and around 30 pounds, she could not be considered a large dog by any stretch of the imagination. If you go back and look at the founding dogs of the breed (it's important to remember that the aussie is not a very 'old' breed at all), many of them look very similar to what you see today.

Now are some of the dogs I see in the akc ring in particular too heavy boned with too much coat for my tastes? Sure. But to insinuate that the minis are what an aussie is supposed to be is just baffling to me.
As I said, I don't know what's truth or not. I do know that the owner is believed on the Dutch forum, while I have my questions about it. I feel there's a lot more knowledge about the whole (toy/miniature) Australian (American) Shepherd issue here on this forum than there is on the ones in my own country.

And the owner is not my friend :p

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

My mini is 25#, solid body, not dainty, about the same size as a sheltie. Mine is a crazy hooligan outside when we play but a couch potato inside.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have a pair, brother and sister. The breed is recognized now as the "Miniature American Shephard", but are best known as Miniature Australian Shephards. This seems to ruffle the feathers of Australian Shephard owners. Depending on the breeder, I think alot come from breeding small shephards with smaller dog breeds because some breeders even sell "Toy Australian Shephards".

My male is 54lbs and the female is 42... well above the breeder's expectation of them and yes, they are ATLEAST as high energy as the full size standard Australian Shephard. They are SO much fun.
54lbs and 42 lbs is not full size?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

They are a different breed from Aussies. From different foundation stock. But they have been around for a long time. All of them go back to toy sized dogs, but a lot of people bred in Australian Shepherd to get better type. What ruffled feathers was people registering them with AKC as Australian Shepherds and claiming they were just bred down Aussies. As to your dogs' size. Holy cow. They must be really out of standard or really round. My 21" Aussie male weighs 51 lbs. My smaller girls weigh around 35 lbs.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

My family had an aussie back in the early 1960's born in about 1962 I think, from full time working stock from a ranch in Arizona my father worked on at times. Her mom was actually pretty famous in her area and pups highly sought by area stock men for working dogs.. Could even be in the blood lines of a lot of modern aussies. It seems to me she was a little smaller than today's average size, but not much, she was I would say between 30-40lbs. Most awesome companion dog ever for a kid that wandered the countryside for miles and miles.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts