Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 112 of 112 Posts
Eeeeee! I keep looking up MAS puppies why! I'm just glad Indiana is not far away!
I really like blue merle and red tri. But any color is great!
LOL we are doing the same thing haha. I have to wait until around oct 2016 .... boo but it's soooo hard :(. I always wait too long to get another dog. I got Josefina when Izze was 10. and I got Lincoln when Josefina was 6 ... already too old to appreciate the puppy / teenage crazy LOL. So I want to try to get next dog when Lincoln is young enough to enjoy him LOL ... because he thinks that Josefina is a huge buzz kill lmao.

I'm a vet tech and one of our local breeders just brought a room full of 8 week old MASs for their first exams/vaccines. It was a room of gloriousness, lol. And I'm not even particularly a herdy dog person

I totally missed their nationals and it was in town last year!

Also I know quite a few dogs on that page.

I totally missed their nationals and it was in town last year!

Also I know quite a few dogs on that page.
I was all set to go but then my husband's job took him out of town. I couldn't travel with all 3 dogs for that long. Bummed that I missed it. So, next year! And perhaps I will be close to getting a pup by then. I think my next dog will be a MAS. And it's getting close to time to start thinking about it. My youngsters are 4 now...

I've never met a well bred one. They're always so snippy nosed and buggy eyed, which just isn't very Aussie to me. Most of these ones are just gorgeous, and exactly what I would want. We'll see!
That's how you tell a well bred one :) I have found that usually, the "mini aussies" are the ones that are the ones with toy features, because some breeders use toy breeds to get the size down faster.

If you ever want to get one, I am a member of a few FB MAS pages, including a couple of breeder pages, I can help you, just PM me your name on FB and I will add you to them :)

I was all set to go but then my husband's job took him out of town. I couldn't travel with all 3 dogs for that long. Bummed that I missed it. So, next year! And perhaps I will be close to getting a pup by then. I think my next dog will be a MAS. And it's getting close to time to start thinking about it. My youngsters are 4 now...
Maybe we'll see each other there? My goal is to be competing there in sports at the nationals next year!

Biddable: yes

Noisy: YES!!!!!! You will know if the mail man is coming, trash is being picked up, your neighbors are outside, or a leaf falls in your yard, if they smell something new and strange, etc ... LOL.

Temperament: That can very a bit, but as a general breed, MAS are loving and affectionate with their people, but have "their" person in the family they like most, but they do like all the members of the family. Their Temperament is very much like the aussie, since that is where they came from, they have a suspicious nature and early socialization is a MUST as in you have to do it. Some, like mine never really "like" strangers, as in, he will never seek them out willingly, but I am pretty confident that I will get him to accept interaction from strangers with a "can take it or leave it" attitude. Most well socialized MAS I have known are like that, they will accept petting and attention from strangers, but its "meh take or leave it" with them.

The "boing": If you like a dog who always has "4 on the floor" than a MAS is NOT the dog for you, I swear they were born with springs in their paws because they are always boinging around like furry pogo sticks haha. They have a certain exuberance and enthusiasm about life in general that is just (for me) awesome, they are very much "yay I dont know what we are going to do and I dont care as long as I am doing SOMETHING with yoooooou!!!!"

Separation anxiety: Sadly, that wanting to be with us has its down falls, SA is one of them, to combat this, you must get your puppy used to being alone, I would put Lincoln out in the fenced yard, at my folks ranch or when we were in flower mound, on the porch by himself, without our other dog (because they can experience SA with other dogs, too) They must learn to "stand alone".

A good breeder: This is so so important, I cant stress this enough, if you are really serious, I know good breeders all over the country, you can PM me for more information, you can also find me on FB (though I will give my info under PM only since I dont want it out there on the public forum haha). There are a lot of breeders who, to get their dogs smaller faster, bred toy blood into their lines, most of those people stayed with "mini aussie" registration, and for the most part, should be avoided.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.
I'm very interested in these special breed but am scared to get puppy mill dog. And my next dog has to be under 40ush lbs. My last dog was a pit/weihmanner mix 15years, 17years with my Sheppard/collie mix. Appreciate any info. Thanks max

This thread is over six years old and most of the members participating haven't been active on this forum in a long time. Your question is likely to get lost at the end of a long thread like this, so I'm closing this old post to further replies and encourage you to start a new thread so our currently active members can offer their knowledge and experience with the MAS breed.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.