Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 112 Posts
Why a MAS over a Sheltie?
Maybe not directed at me but to me that's like asking why an aussie and not a collie. Or something like that. They're similar breeds but not the same.

And who mentioned a Sheltie?
I think she's just asking why you'd want an MAS instead of a sheltie since the breeds are pretty similar.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Oh, well they are pretty similar but I'm still learning about the both of them.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I've been looking at Dynasty MASes a bit more, and they seem pretty good.

Just popped into my head. Really never connected the dots before but Shelties, mini Aussies? Not much different so long as you go for working/sporting lines.

At agility I've met lots of Aussies, a few mini Aussies and lots of Shelties. All bark a lot, all are wonderful smart funny bouncy dogs and usually excel in agility. Shelties are a more established breed than NAS or MAS or mini Aussies, whichever line you are looking at, and close to size and temperament and all so far as I can tell. Health maybe?

I'd be hard pressed to choose between NAS with a tail and a Sheltie.

It's funny: I would never own a sheltie but I want a MAS. I perceive the difference to be something about "toughness." In my very limited experience, shelties are much more sensitive. It's that sensitivity that I don't like. But the MAS seems more durable, more tolerant of handler pressure/mistakes.

I wonder if I am wrong about this... I certainly am basing my feelings/thoughts on limited experiences.

MAS seem to live a bit larger and louder. Seem more bold.

MAS and shelties are about as similar as aussies and collies - and possibly less alike than shelties and BC. Their size is about the same, yes, and they're both in the herding group, and I guess they're both kind of fluffy.

But that's where the similarities stop. It's kind of like saying 'well, if you want a pap, why not get a long haired chi' or 'if you want a JRT, why not get a Rat Terrier?' or even 'so you want a German Shepherd, why not get a Mal?' Not that there's an 'easier/harder' one in all of those, but just because they look kind of the same and are in the same breed group doesn't mean they aren't pretty different.

I would LOVE a sheltie. I do not particularly want a MAS. I will own another BC. I have little desire to ever own an aussie (there is ONE local working breeder around here I might make an exception for, and of course adult rescues who are outside the norm are always possible). I like my herders not just high energy, but also kind of loud, kind of quirky, a little neurotic, and most of all EXTREMELY soft and sensitive. I don't *want* a rough and tumble, physical, hard dog.

Are there hard Shelties? Yes. Are there soft MAS? Sure.

But as a rule - What I want exists in shelties and what other people exists in MAS. They're not... the same dog in a different package.

It's funny: I would never own a sheltie but I want a MAS. I perceive the difference to be something about "toughness." In my very limited experience, shelties are much more sensitive. It's that sensitivity that I don't like. But the MAS seems more durable, more tolerant of handler pressure/mistakes.

I wonder if I am wrong about this... I certainly am basing my feelings/thoughts on limited experiences.

From my limited perceptions, I'd agree with that - even if I'm on the opposite side of the coin.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Couldn't of said it better myself, just like I would prefer a MAS, you would prefer a Shelite.

That's a pretty fair assessment. I prefer a GOOD MAS to a good sheltie if I'm honest. I find overall MAS to be more physical, more exuberant energy. Something is pretty different about their energy styles and general temperaments. Even with the drivey shelties and quiet MAS. One of my friends has a really kind little MAS who is also a really fast and fun agility dog but he still doesn't act sheltie ish.

I think it's easier to say... find a really really awesome agility dog in a sheltie. MAS are a crapshoot a bit though performance lines are certainly becoming more of a thing in MAS. I see more MAS in sports outside agility/obedience. Shelties don't seem to be great flyball dogs or disc dogs usually but MAS often are.

A lot of people also prefer MAS because it's easier to find less coat in them. A lot of people also don't much care for the pointy face/small eyes look in shelties. That is a factor for me too.

I dunno. It's kind of like me trying to explain why I enjoy goldens more than labs. Just kind of a feeling. I'd have an MAS over a sheltie (well... not counting my past shelties!) That said I'd prefer the average sheltie to a good number of MAS I see. So I'd have to be really picky. I know where to find good shelties and don't know MAS as well so that's another factor.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Yeah, that's the thing with the MAS, they be horrible or amazing.

In fairness, there are some AWESOME MAS that I see around agility. Some of them aren't my kind of dog, and a lot of the ones locally are really, really little, but as I get out more I see more decent sized ones. Also we have a couple in our agility club now that have 3 that I like quite a bit.

It's just the ones I would own are still anomalies and honestly look and present like very small BC than aussies. That energy thing.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Yeah, that's why I kinda want to go with a puppy to raise it right. Maybe that's just me.

Honestly, if it's important to you the puppy is the opposite of what you want. No amount of raising it 'right' is going to change a dog's basic temperament. It's not going to make a shy, aloof, sensitive dog harder or the reverse.

I love puppies, but you really have to be willing to (to some degree) take what you get.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I didn't think of it that way. Yeah, that makes sense. However, a puppy is still not out of the question though.

I didn't think of it that way. Yeah, that makes sense. However, a puppy is still not out of the question though.
Sure. Just get a puppy because you want a puppy, not because you think you're going to mold it's personality and temperament to any real degree. They basically come hardwired with that, frankly, and all the raising in the world won't change it.

Also, let me be really real here:

No one raises a puppy 'right'. Some people do it really, really, wrong, but no one does it exactly right. You're *going* to mess up something, somewhere.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Sure. Just get a puppy because you want a puppy, not because you think you're going to mold it's personality and temperament to any real degree. They basically come hardwired with that, frankly, and all the raising in the world won't change it.

Also, let me be really real here:

No one raises a puppy 'right'. Some people do it really, really, wrong, but no one does it exactly right. You're *going* to mess up something, somewhere.
Thank you so much! You and everyone else have been so helpful.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Are MASes fragile at all?

21 - 40 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.