Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me about them! Temperament, how biddable they are, are they noisy, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Biddable: yes

Noisy: YES!!!!!! You will know if the mail man is coming, trash is being picked up, your neighbors are outside, or a leaf falls in your yard, if they smell something new and strange, etc ... LOL.

Temperament: That can very a bit, but as a general breed, MAS are loving and affectionate with their people, but have "their" person in the family they like most, but they do like all the members of the family. Their Temperament is very much like the aussie, since that is where they came from, they have a suspicious nature and early socialization is a MUST as in you have to do it. Some, like mine never really "like" strangers, as in, he will never seek them out willingly, but I am pretty confident that I will get him to accept interaction from strangers with a "can take it or leave it" attitude. Most well socialized MAS I have known are like that, they will accept petting and attention from strangers, but its "meh take or leave it" with them.

The "boing": If you like a dog who always has "4 on the floor" than a MAS is NOT the dog for you, I swear they were born with springs in their paws because they are always boinging around like furry pogo sticks haha. They have a certain exuberance and enthusiasm about life in general that is just (for me) awesome, they are very much "yay I dont know what we are going to do and I dont care as long as I am doing SOMETHING with yoooooou!!!!"

Separation anxiety: Sadly, that wanting to be with us has its down falls, SA is one of them, to combat this, you must get your puppy used to being alone, I would put Lincoln out in the fenced yard, at my folks ranch or when we were in flower mound, on the porch by himself, without our other dog (because they can experience SA with other dogs, too) They must learn to "stand alone".

A good breeder: This is so so important, I cant stress this enough, if you are really serious, I know good breeders all over the country, you can PM me for more information, you can also find me on FB (though I will give my info under PM only since I dont want it out there on the public forum haha). There are a lot of breeders who, to get their dogs smaller faster, bred toy blood into their lines, most of those people stayed with "mini aussie" registration, and for the most part, should be avoided.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That information was very helpful! I will for sure ask more questions when I think of any.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
MAS are pretty darn similar to Australian Shepherds. Playful, fun, goofy, biddable, high energy, sometimes stubborn... and generally they tend to be pretty noisy, but you can get some quiet ones depending on lineage.

My next dog is a MAS :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is the shedding and grooming? And how much exercise do they need?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Shedding is kind of in clumps that you can pick up off of the ground. Their coats blow out 2 times a year. You do have to brush them every other day though.

For exercise, it's mostly mental stimulation. They are a working dog so they will be happiest with a job to do. I am getting mine in to Agility and Dock Diving when he's old enough, and working on things like "sit" "stay" "leave it" as well as a plethora of other useful things I've found on Kikopups youtube channel (which I highly recommend looking in to regardless of what breed of dog you are getting)

That being said, that doesn't mean that MAS are exempt from daily walks (when at the appropriate age)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Are Miniature American Shepherds, Miniature Australian Shepherd, and "mini Aussies" the same?
All one and the same! Confusing isn't it?

Some Australian Shepherd owners are really anal about them not being "REAL" Australian Shepherds so people have started calling them Miniature American Shepherds, which IMO is actually more accurate, considering Australian Shepherds technically originated in the USA

·
Registered
337 Posts
Are Miniature American Shepherds, Miniature Australian Shepherd, and "mini Aussies" the same?
There is no size variation of the Australian Shepherd as the parent club (ASCA) doesn't approve of it. But yes, in day-to-day talk, people are referring to the same thing pretty much. Personally, I'm happy more and more people are starting to use MAS.

@OP, grooming and such will vary some depending on the coat. There is variation between lines and some have a lot of coat and a heavy undercoat, while others have significantly less coat. Matting shouldn't be a problem as long as you brush once a week or so.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it's very confusing! I prefer the term Miniature American Shepherd myself though. I think I found a pretty cool breeder, but it would be at least a year before I get a pup. I heard about the furminator, is that a good thing?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yeah it's very confusing! I prefer the term Miniature American Shepherd myself though. I think I found a pretty cool breeder, but it would be at least a year before I get a pup. I heard about the furminator, is that a good thing?
There are mixed reviews - some say it helps, some say it's useless with dogs that have the long double-coat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
MAS are the AKC offshoot of Mini Aussies. Some breeders opted to not go with the AKC and instead register with a separate breed club and still consider their dogs Mini aussies. The only people I know that use Miniature American shepherds are those who are very particular to explain that their dogs are the AKC version. Right now the two are the same but if they stay split they will end up being separate breeds. Toy Aussies also have another separate registry however some breeder breed both toys and minis together.

If I were to get one, I'd go with a Mini American because they seem more consistent.

I was at agility last night with over a dozen mini and toy aussies (no AKC dogs though I know some). Wide wide variety. From 8 lbs to 35+ lbs. Fine boned, heavy. Toyish or not toyish. Calm to very wild.

The breed varies a LOT in size. One of my friends has a mini roughly Hank sized (so mid 20 lbs) and his dad was 70 lbs. One other friend has MAS that are 15 lbs and then one 30 lb from the same breeder. Both girls too.

Some are very high drive and bold and probably even higher energy/drive than the average aussie but a lot are pretty soft and small. Some are very toyish in features and I know several that are Mia and Summer sized or almost. They are very very popular here in dog sports.

So basically what I'm saying is the breed is not very established yet and you have to be careful to find someone producing consistently what you want. And also still be prepared for variety. They just are not that separated from Aussies yet so you can easily get something full aussie (or nearly) sized too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
MAS are the AKC offshoot of Mini Aussies. Some breeders opted to not go with the AKC and instead register with a separate breed club and still consider their dogs Mini aussies. The only people I know that use Miniature American shepherds are those who are very particular to explain that their dogs are the AKC version. Right now the two are the same but if they stay split they will end up being separate breeds. Toy Aussies also have another separate registry however some breeder breed both toys and minis together.

If I were to get one, I'd go with a Mini American because they seem more consistent.

I was at agility last night with over a dozen mini and toy aussies (no AKC dogs though I know some). Wide wide variety. From 8 lbs to 35+ lbs. Fine boned, heavy. Toyish or not toyish. Calm to very wild.

The breed varies a LOT in size. One of my friends has a mini roughly Hank sized (so mid 20 lbs) and his dad was 70 lbs. One other friend has MAS that are 15 lbs and then one 30 lb from the same breeder. Both girls too.

Some are very high drive and bold and probably even higher energy/drive than the average aussie but a lot are pretty soft and small. Some are very toyish in features and I know several that are Mia and Summer sized or almost. They are very very popular here in dog sports.

So basically what I'm saying is the breed is not very established yet and you have to be careful to find someone producing consistently what you want. And also still be prepared for variety. They just are not that separated from Aussies yet so you can easily get something full aussie (or nearly) sized too.
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to be very careful with breeders. I've heard before that they vary A LOT. I've heard of Dynasty MASes, and I was wondering if they seem like a good breeder? Are there any red flags?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My training partner/student has a MAS. WOW! What great little dogs. However, their breed rescues are teeming with incredible dogs who have lost their homes. They absolutely aren't right for everyone.

Seems like many lose their homes for nipping and hyperactivity. While there certainly is a lot of variance from individual to individual, the dog I train with is PSYCHO. He needs a ton of exercise and lots of mental stimulation or he goes nuts. I've hung around with others who are much more mild.

I think my next dog is a MAS. Because there are so many incredible ones to chose from in rescue, I will probably get an adult rehome. One advantage of going that route is that you will sort of know who the dogs are. Unfortunately, there are probably more active dogs than passive ones available. Since that's what I'm looking for, it works for me!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My training partner/student has a MAS. WOW! What great little dogs. However, their breed rescues are teeming with incredible dogs who have lost their homes. They absolutely aren't right for everyone.

Seems like many lose their homes for nipping and hyperactivity. While there certainly is a lot of variance from individual to individual, the dog I train with is PSYCHO. He needs a ton of exercise and lots of mental stimulation or he goes nuts. I've hung around with others who are much more mild.

I think my next dog is a MAS. Because there are so many incredible ones to chose from in rescue, I will probably get an adult rehome. One advantage of going that route is that you will sort of know who the dogs are. Unfortunately, there are probably more active dogs than passive ones available. Since that's what I'm looking for, it works for me!
Thank you so much! Yeah, I've heard that they can be very hyper. I think I can handle it though.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts