Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have an 8 year old mini schnauzer that had a couple of bouts of pancreatitis about 7-8 months ago. We have him on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Gastro Intestinal Low Fat Canned. He's been doing very well on it for about 6 months. The only problem is that it costs so much. It's costing roughly $150 a month.
Would mixing it with the dry be a problem? 50/50? He also has diabetes. I am concerned about the digestibility of the dry food.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can find lots of information about appropriate diets, home testing, etc. at www.k9diabetes.com. Please take a look around and hopefully join so you can get some very experienced support from members as well as access their excellent reference library. Those folks have saved a lot of dog's lives and a lot of peoples' sanity.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My oldest dog has been having lots of issues over the past 2 years with pancreatitis and more recently kidney failure. With pancreatitis, you need low fat (less than 5% for dry food and less than 3% wet), easily digestible foods. We were on RC Low Fat Digestive kibble plus canned. She didn't like it very much, but did very well for the first year. Her pancreatic levels went from extremely high to almost normal within 5-6 months. Eventually, (22 months later), her levels skyrocketed again as her kidneys began to fail. Within the last 6 weeks, I decided to take her off her prescription diet and put her on a home cooked that would benefit both kidney and pancreas. She has been doing well, loves to eat again and I am anxious to see our next blood/urine panel results.

I will add, I would never have taken her off the prescription diet had her kidney, blood pressure and other organs remained healthy. Commercial kidney and pancreas diets do not benefit each other at all. This was my last-ditch effort to help prevent her from further organ failure.

RCLFDG dry is a very digestible food, as is the canned variety. You should have no problems with mixing them. If he isn't keen on the dry, I was told to add a little bit of boiled chicken.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts