Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there..

Newbie here with puppys at least.. First off i'm not sure which breed we actually got from a (possibly breeder) on craigslist, yeah i know not the best route to get a dog but we did and got her for around $900.. 8 weeks old.. took her to vet and everything looks good so far. She was listed as a Mini GoldenDoodle Toy.. but i'm not finding this combination of wording for goldendoodles.. and they claimed typed 1b which is good or better for allergies though yes i know no such thing as really hypoallergenic.. some pics at the end here.. if mini toy, does this mean part cocker spaniel?

Also.. i think i read that she might shed her puppy coat and become more poodle like as far as the fur goes.. any truth to this (in 6 months?)? Perhaps a waiting game here..

in the past i had an older terrier poodle mix dog that never bothered my allergies.. we have had her for about 3 days now.. my eyes and nose have been fine but oddly my asthma / bronchial issues popped up.. i feel a sort of what was minor at first wheeze down in there which i can cough up to some degree, mainly hangs on as a tickle, though last nite it seemed worse and by morning 20 mins of coughing i got rid of the fluid feeling now left with a tickle..

In last 2 days i even put up an ionizer i had from the late 90s (alpine living air one).. and bought a $200 recommended one off amazon which really only covers a 20x20 area.. i moved today, the older one up to the bedroom (which she hasnt really even gone upstairs, but i still react to things up there at night it feels like).. left the amazon one downstairs bordering the dining room/living room archway.

Anyone know any thoughts on the type of dog we have.. or have any recommendations on the possible allergy issue.. im guessing just using my Ventolin inhaler/maybe trying shots again (did that for 15 years as a kid i'm not 43) might be the only things to help.. zyrtec on day 1 didnt help the congestion/cough.. might try claritin..

Feeling bad because our kids love the dog (so do i and my wife) and if i could just get control of the allergen part, might be fine..

Thanks in advance for any tips

View attachment 246128 20181218_112757Nova.jpg

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The reason doodles can be okay for allergic people is they get bathed and groomed regularly so the dander is washed out plus they don't leave as much hair around the house. I was seriously ill when my MIL got a kitten and was better when it was older, wonder if young animals are worse than older ones?

Do try the Claritin, might help.

I was mildly allergic to Sassy, my first dog. So I gave her a bath when I started feeling itchy and all was well. I discovered Claritin at some point after her arrival and current dogs don't bother me but no idea if their fuzz would be a problem without.

Do try a bath, Allerpet shampoo is supposed to reduce allergens as well.

Bucky, the crazy dog in my avatar, is a horribly bred cockapoo, product of a cockapoo x poodle x supermutt. He lost the genetic lottery and is a smooth face that sheds like mad. Other doodles can be completely poodle like and shed very little. Your new cutie definitely looks like a fuzzy face but since the fuzz isn't poodle like at this age I doubt will be exactly like a poodle coat but more like the original poodle golden cross.

The F1B means a golden retriever poodle cross was bred with a poodle so your dog is 3/4ths poodle. The smaller size is supposed to be because the poodle sire is a mini poodle and the less allergic reaction prone is because the coat might be more poodle like than the original cross. If you saw all the pups you probably noticed some variation in coat, some of that is because this isn't a fixed breed and coat can vary a great deal.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Unfortunately it's hard to tell breed at that age, and with a mixed breed it might never be possible to tell by looking. There are some DNA tests out there if you really want to know - Embark and Wisdom Panel are two of the more popular ones. You definitely purchased from a backyard breeder, if not a puppymill, so who knows what they meant by "Mini goldendoodle toy". If she is a 1b, that means she is the product of a goldendoodle x poodle, if I remember correctly. So potentially one parent was a mini goldendoodle and the other was a toy poodle and that's what they meant by that, but who knows.

Has she gotten a bath since you got her? My dog came from a shelter that also had cats and I was super allergic to him when I first got him because of this, so that's why I ask. After a good bath I was fine.

I am allergic to dogs and although my dog is a poodle mix, the other two in the house aren't. I get the wheezing, coughing, itchy eyes, runny nose, itchy throat, even hives sometimes. I take Zyrtec daily. Sometimes I'll stop because my allergies don't seem to be bothering me, but then when they start up again it takes a few days for the Zyrtec to work. So if it didn't work after one dose, I'd try 2-3 doses before giving up on it. I also have to vacuum every day and the dogs get bathed every 10-14 days as well as brushed every other day and a professional groom every 8-10 weeks. Just be careful when bathing that often that you use an appropriate shampoo, and don't forget to condition, as this can be very harsh on a dog/puppy's skin and coat.

Do you have environmental allergies as well? Not sure where you are located, but around here the weather has been so weird and my allergies have been acting up, too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Doodles are mixes, so if they bred a goldendoodle with a toy poodle, you still have 1/4 of a chance that she will not have a poodle coat (and I'm really not familiar with 'hypoallergenic' dog breeds anyway).

Either way, I suggest going to see an allergist again. I did 8 years of shots too, but luckily it seems to have stuck for me so far (that was 26 years ago). For me the symptoms were mostly asthma.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments all. Does she shed off her puppy coat at some point even if she doesn't shed. I'm most concerned about my asmtha reaction I have. With the wheezing n breathing. Otherwise fine. Will try allerpet. Also trying Claritin but not sure if helps with respiratory issues. The DNA tests look interested but 76 to 160 but might be worth it later on

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I have a Golden Retriever cross Standard Poodle. I bred her once to a Poodle before I had her spayed and kept a female from her (3/4 Poodle 1/4 golden) All the pups had curly coats from the time they were a few weeks old but the mother has more of a wavy coat with some curl to it. Nether of them shed so I have to clip both of them. I can't see them getting what they are calling a Mini Golden without adding another small dog besides the toy poodle so there is a good chance they will not have a non-shedding coat.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Thanks for the comments all. Does she shed off her puppy coat at some point even if she doesn't shed. I'm most concerned about my asmtha reaction I have. With the wheezing n breathing. Otherwise fine. Will try allerpet. Also trying Claritin but not sure if helps with respiratory issues. The DNA tests look interested but 76 to 160 but might be worth it later on
Yes, at around four to seven months, she will loose her puppy coat and start getting her adult coat. Whether it is more Poodle type or more Golden type you won't know until it comes in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am going to offer an unpopular suggestion: Return her to the breeder for a full/partial refund, explaining that you are seriously allergic. Then, go the purebred toy poodle route.

You are not dealing with itchy, watery eyes or a bit of sneezing. Your lungs are affected. What might be a little tickle now could develop into a full-blown asthma attack as your home fills with doggy dander. Whenever possible, avoidance is the best solution for allergies.

Aside from your health, the well-being of your pup is a huge issue. If you wait until she is older and find that she still affects your allergies, you might not be able to find a suitable home for her. The longer you wait to see IF she will work out, the more attached your family will be to her and she to your family. Even if the breeder will not take her back, you have a better chance of finding her a good home while she's still a young pup.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I highly doubt that the type of 'breeders' that have such pups do refunds. But considering that you just got her, and that she's still a puppy, I do agree with rehoming. And yeah, go the purebred route next time (poodle or whatever other non shedding dogs there are), but spend some time with the puppy before committing to see how you feel too.

I've been there and those asthma attacks are no joke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts