Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy follows me from room to room, cries, yelps, and barks when I put him in the crate and go out, and will even wake up from sleep to follow me if I leave the room.

I love him to death, but I know this is a behavior that needs to be corrected. I show no emotion when I leave him, and have even tried the 5 minutes away, 10 minutes away, 15 mins away, etc. scenario. He does well with it, but when I leave the house, he loses it.

He is house broken, and does not urinate/deficate in his crate when I leave, but he does scratch and claw and try to get out of it within 3 minutes of me putting him inside. I leave the radio on as a safety blanket, but he doesn't seem to buy it. He quiets down after about 20 minutes (so my father says after I leave) and goes to sleep. Then, he goes WILD when I let him out of the crate when I return.

He has not been left alone in a room and/or been allowed freedom of the house yet, as we have only had him 4 1/2 months (he is 9 months old) and he hasn't earned it yet. However, I DO feel if we did leave him in a room, he would be destructive, but I can't say that without having tried it.

Any recommendations on how to reverse this behavior and have an independant dog?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
He doesn't seem to have SA, as SA is a medical condition and cannot be cured, only managed. Sounds like he just has some low self confidence, and is attached to you.

Work on leaving him alone for a second, coming back, 2, etc...so he knows you'll always come back. Go over your leaving routine a few times a day so he gets used to it. You can change it up to, if right before you leave you grab your keys, grab your keys first and do something else.

Also, if he settles down after 20 minutes, than he's fine, just wondering why your leaving, dogs with SA usually won't settle down.

When he goes wild just ignore him and go about your business, don't even look at him. When he settles, maybe after 5 or 15 minutes, than say hello, give him a pat, and nothing more.

Bad SA is self mutilation, tearing holes in walls, etc..Bad SA is when you come home and your dog is covered in blood trying to get to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts