Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old Mini Aussie (Rogue) that I have had since she was a puppy. We moved from Montana about two years ago (which had a nice backyard), to a small downtown Denver apartment (which is about a block away from a nice park and walking trails). We have had 2 years of no issues and her being excited to go outside and play, however, about 6 weeks ago she started getting very reluctant to walk out of my apartment building. She's always been fairly high energy when it come to her "play time" of day, but content to nap during a large chunk of the day as well.

I've tried bribing her with treats to start walking towards the park, which worked for a time. During the morning walks she would jump right out of bed, eat breakfast and then be ready for a walk. This has progressed into her not wanting to even leave the apartment (stopping a foot outside my door). She essentially only will consider walking towards the park, and instantly sits down or plants herself if I try going on a walking path or somewhere in a different direction.

I have had a Rover come walk her at the noon hour for over a year now and even though we're in a bit of a shutdown I've continued having her come because for whatever reason, she's able to go on a nice long walk with Rogue, who comes back to the apartment happy and energetic. I've visited with her on anything that has happened over the last couple of weeks as well as how the walks go, but nothing out of the ordinary (other than now Rogue won't go down the apartment stairs with her, which Rogue does fine with for me)

The evening walks are the worst and there is little I can do to convince Rogue to go for a walk. If I bribe her with treats enough to get to the park, she'll quickly go potty and then 180 around and high-tail it back towards the apartment again. If I try and sit in the grass with her just to enjoy the scenery it's obvious she's very frightened about something. I cannot tie anything back to what is bringing on this behavior. There is a fair amount of stimulus in downtown Denver, but she's seen it all over the last 2 years - right now it's extremely quiet around our building/park area.

This last weekend we went on a short hike pretty early in the morning and she got excited when she heard the car keys and saw the daypack - everything was back to normal for the entirety of the trip. This verified to me that she's still a healthy pup as well.

Any feedback, guidance, or resources would be greatly appreciated. There are few things as stressful as what appears to be a less than 100% happy dog.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I would get a vet check. Hearing and eyesight issues come to mind as well as a blood panel to check thyroid.

I know you see her as healthy but if she has some issue you cannot see going on (such as a vision problem) it could change her confidence level which would explain wanting to go safely back home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts