Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two other MinPins (both about 10lbs) and both were able to get through the night with very few exceptions.
We just rescued a ~one year old (6lbs) , spayed female and she wakes us up at 3am every night.

She doesn't act like it is playtime or anything, she goes out and does her business and heads back to the bedroom.
Twice in the month we have had her, she has urinated in her kennel when she was in it between 4-4.5 hours.
The other dogs have been able to make it 6+ hours without problem.

We took her to the vet, thinking that she could have a UTI or something along those lines. They drew blood and everything was okay, no chance of capturing pee in a cup on a pole...so they decided to put her on an antibiotic as a precaution.
No change after the medicine...

Is this a function of her age?
Her bladder just too small to make it more than 4 hours?
Any hope of having an uninterrupted night of sleep in the next decade?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Congratulations on your new girl! :)

One of my smaller boys Leeo ... had a very tiny bladder and he took up to about one and one half years of age to be able to hold his potty. I always thought that his bladder was just not matured enough as he was also the runt of the litter and I believed it to be a physical issue. Maybe there is still hope of an uninterrupted nights sleep. Maybe she just needs more time?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have 4 chihuahuas and they are pretty good about not going in the middle of the night - their sizes vary from 4 - 8 lbs. That being said we make sure they do not take in any water at least 2-3 hours prior to bedtime. We've notice that the chances for an accident increase the closer they drink water prior to bedtime. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
My husky used to have a bad habit of waking me up at 3:00 a.m to go pee. While, yeah if she has to pee I'll take her out but if you wake me up at 3:00 a.m, I'm usually floating in another world.
Have you tried taking the water away before bed? Taking her out RIGHT before bed time? Even if the dogs fall asleep before me, I generally wake them up and have them try to potty before it's time for me to sleep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My husky used to have a bad habit of waking me up at 3:00 a.m to go pee. While, yeah if she has to pee I'll take her out but if you wake me up at 3:00 a.m, I'm usually floating in another world.
Have you tried taking the water away before bed? Taking her out RIGHT before bed time? Even if the dogs fall asleep before me, I generally wake them up and have them try to potty before it's time for me to sleep.
The wife is an early-to-bed type (9-ish) and takes her out before she goes to bed.

When I am ready to turn in for the night (11-ish), I grab the little one and take her out.
I walked around the yard with her for ten minutes last night and she went #2, but did not pee.

We do leave water out, but she doesn't drink excessively.
We have resisted taking water away in the evenings, mostly because of the other dog.
Sure enough, 3am rolls around and she jumps off the bed.
If we don't get up quickly, she has peed on the floor.
We leave her collar on so that it jingles and wakes one of us up after learning that one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have 2 chi mixes and the male almost always has to go out in the middle of the night. He gets out of bed so quietly so I never hear him to take him out. So now I just leave a puppy pad out at night just in case he gets up while I'm asleep and he goes on that. He's completely house trained but he just can't hold it for longer that 4-6 hrs at a time :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have my profound sympathy, fellow sufferer! I always rescue my German Shepherds; when my last beloved boy died almost a year ago at the age of 13, I waited about a month and then brought home a 2 1/2 year old. When he woke me up at about 3AM (why is that the magic number?) and then again at about 5.30AM the first night, I chalked it up to confusion/need for reassurance/getting settled, shuffled sleepily downstairs (my dogs sleep in the bedroom with me), took him out and then went back to bed. I've now had him for eleven months and he hasn't missed a single night. A thorough workup at the vet (and I mean Thorough with a capital "T": X-rays, blood tests, urinalysis) revealed no organic cause for the behavior, but I don't dare ignore him -- not that I could, as he's a crafty and persistent kid -- because he might actually really have to potty one of these times. I have no solution to offer, but at least you know there are others sitting in the same boat. Yawn ...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine barks at 3 a.m. and wants to move to the couch- she expects me to go with her.

I'd keep a piddle pad/puppy pad in the bedroom that she could use.

I know not everyone likes them but my dog (while she holds it for hours to go outside) will use them if she is likely to have an accident, so I always have one out

·
Registered
291 Posts
You may find that she was previously an outside dog so had no "schedule" that her system got used to. It may come right if you set up your own schedule and stick to it.

This was one of the reasons we fitted a doggy door and now they are able to come and go anytime.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The last person up lets Dixie out before bed. If it is too early she will get us up early. I have teenagers though so there is always someone up late. She gets a treat on her last nightly outing after she pees. She quickly learned that peeing outside before bed is a good thing.

Unfortunately she also has me well trained. I usually wake up around 3AM for my own personal potty break. If I don't get up she wakes me up and then goes back to bed. I don't get a treat though.

She usually needs out around 5:00. I let her out and then put her food in her bowl while she is out. She started needing out earlier and earlier. I will let her out when she does this but no food. I do not get out of bed to feed dogs before 5:00.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts