Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....to get fixed on the 24th.

He will be 6 months on the 29th. He has already started marking. Everything in our house is HIS.

How do I reinforce that this is not behavior for inside the house? I have been treating like he was peeing inside. If I catch him I immediately take him outside. Praise him if he goes to the bathroom. The thing is they are two totally different things.

Inside I clean up the mess with enzyme remover. Is this just going to make him want to mark that spot again? I sure hope not. It has only been 2 days but he is drivin me nuts with his leg lifting.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am sorry, I do not have any advice. It just makes me glad that my boy was fixed before I got him.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am so dense and just now put it together that this is what Milo is doing! He has been going pee in the house for the last two days which is odd because he is housetrained, DUH! Good thing he is getting neutered next week :) (and he will be 6 months on the 22nd)

So yes, I feel your pain and hope it gets better for both of us soon!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Getting the dog neutered does not stop the behavior because this is a behavior...not hormones. I own intact boys....they've never marked in the house with the exception of ONCE....their first Christmas they peed on the tree (and who could fault them?).

Housebroken is house broken, and this needs to be reiterated to the dogs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miller is house trained. This is marking not peeing. Yes it is urine but it is totally different. That being said I am dealing with it the same way I would if he was peeing in the house.

I have heard many times that neutering your dog more times than not will stop them. I'm not going to rely solely on that though. That is why I came asking what to do?

He is not peeing in the house because he can't get outside. He is peeing to leave his sent on things. My kitchen chair, My sons lunch kit....ect ect. This is not a puddle on the floor, it is a small small amount of urine sprayed onto these objects.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I always treated marking as part of house training. Shippo tried it one time, and I just kinda went a step backwards again and started treating him like he was a baby again and being potty trained (confined when I wasn't watching, not allowed in rooms where I wasn't, etc).

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I can't really help you here, all I can say is that I hope the neutering stops it. I never bothered to neuter Smokey (he's 8, he's dying of cancer...what's really the point ya know?) and he still marks in my house on occasion. I find spots that are "his" and just hit it with the carpet shampooer so the others don't get the idea of "mine"...

I think while he's at the vet having "brain surgery" the best thing you could do is go through the house with natures miracle or something like that and clean the heck out of anywhere that was "his" so it's all new when he comes home. That sounds like an idea that starts out right anyway...

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Miller is house trained. This is marking not peeing. Yes it is urine but it is totally different.
It's really not. Marking IS peeing which IS housebreaking, there's no two ways about it. The way the dog pees does not change the fact that he's peeing in the house :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts