Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a few months for a Labrador breeder, and have come across one that I'm interested in. They've replied and said yes, they are expecting to whelp a litter in the time frame I was hoping to get a puppy. She didn't say which of her dogs the sire and dam were, and I'm waiting to hear back from her.

On her website she has all of her dogs and their pedigrees with OFA numbers. Since she said this was an all black litter, I'm looking at her black dogs (again, she hasn't answered yet as to exactly which ones the sire and dam are).

Her three black girls were born 10/05, 6/06, and 6/07. Is it a red flag that she has a dam thats over 6 years old?

I can post her website here if it's allowed, I just didnt know if there were restrictions with mentioning breeders by name on a forum.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
There're lots of folks who can recommend the genetic tests to ask about. I guess my advice is that if you like the feel of this breeder as well as the dogs onsite, they you might ask about socialization, shots, handling, house training, and basic obedience. One thing that I like about a puppy is that I get to insert most of the mistakes. Moreover, many breeders give pups a head start by providing socialization and care above and beyond what most owners can do...giving the dogs a great start in life. Therefore, ask how long the breeder holds the pup before releasing for adoption... 10 -12 weeks is not unusual, and the continuity is beneficial.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
No problem with posting the website, Are the OFA numbers posted? if so you can cross check them at offa.org .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts