Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in a single BR apt and I have a new puppy thats near 6months old (well trained!). I wish he had a playmate to be with while im gone. Would it be wrong to adopt a 2nd dog for my living space? It would have to be a GSD since we are dying to own one. thx for any help

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Im in a single BR apt and I have a new puppy thats near 6months old (well trained!). I wish he had a playmate to be with while im gone. Would it be wrong to adopt a 2nd dog for my living space? It would have to be a GSD since we are dying to own one. thx for any help
I would definitely wait until your pup is a bit older, you haven't even reached the terrible teens yet - where they tend to forget everything you've ever taught them. Usually the rule of thumb is to wait until your current dog is about 2 years old to add a new dog - this way they are out of their puppy stage and you know more about their adult temperment. GSD's are great dogs, but they also require a good amount of outlets for their energy so if you're up to it then I would say go for it...but not until your current pup is a bit older.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't recommend GSD's for apartment living, because they need more room to roam around. To add on to that, if you decide to get a puppy, I wouldn't recommend it, because that's just asking for more damage to your stuff. GSD's are active dogs and need more time and attention, especially during crucial moments as a puppy. If not, they need at least more space.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not adopt a dog? There are thousands of homeless dogs out there, including purebreds of every breed. I suggest adopting an older dog, not a puppy. Older dogs are housetrained. You won't have to go through the difficult stage(s) of teaching a puppy house manners and mopping/cleaning up after accidents. Older dogs are not teething puppies, and won't chew your shoes and furniture while growing up. Older dogs can focus well because they've mellowed. Therefore, they learn quickly. Older dogs have learned what "no" means. If they hadn't learned it, they wouldn't have gotten to be "older" dogs. Older dogs settle in easily, because they've learned what it takes to get along with others and become part of a pack. Older dogs are good at giving love, once they get into their new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance they've been given. What You See Is What You Get: Unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first. Older dogs are instant companions -- ready for hiking, car trips, and other things you like to do.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
BoxMeIn is absolutely correct, you don't know how many people talk about their well-behaved 6 month old pups that at 10 months or whenever it starts turn into the monsters from Satan's area. Your pup has playmates they are 2 legged not 4 legged. Sometimes when people want the extra dog it's because they don't have time to be playmates and feel guilty. Not saying that's you just throwing it out here. As far as wanting a GSD well that too is a problem I'm not even going to discuss. Good luck

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Let me add my caution to you about getting a second dog - whether you get a puppy from a breeder or adopt an adult rescue - especially if you don't have much experience.

1. Your resident dog should be at least 18 months old and preferably 2 years old before you bring in a second dog
  2. Your resident dog should be obedience trained to at least the level of the AKC CGC before you bring in a second dog (you don't necessarily have to take the CGC test, but your dog should be trained to that equivalent level)
If you had more dog experience, you could ease up a bit on these cautions. But not at your level of experience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for all the help, ill wait for mine puppy to get all his YAYAS! out.... I knew this was the best place to ask. Thanks everyone. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
My goodness, is your pup adorable! And kudos to you for asking around first before jumping into the decision to buy/adopt a high energy breed while you've already a pup in your hands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts