Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoey tends to puke easily, and it took us some time, when she was littler, to find a food she didnt vomit, or have terrible poos after eating (by terrible, I mean horrifying stink, many times a day, lots of it).
Some dog/puppy foods she just plain will NOT eat.
Eventually we tried her out on Authority chicken blend for puppies, and she seemed to do really well on it. At about 13 months, I switched her to the adult chilcken formula, and she hasnt been quite as crazy about it, but the puking and poop problems have not returned.
When we took in Ziva, she did well on the authority also, so thats what we have stuck with.
However, the nearest PetSmart is over a half hour away, and we are currently struggling quite a bit financially. We are considering trying to switch the dogs to something around that same/close to same, price, in the hopes that we can find something that is more readily available in stores closer to home. At least for a while.

I was looking at the Purina Beyond....the ingredients dont look terrible, the price looks decent, and Im wondering if anyone has tried this, your experience, and if you find it available in chain stores....walmart, meijer, grocery store chains, etc.

I realize its not the very best, but its about what I can currently afford. In a perfect world, my kids would be eating all organic foods, but right now we've got to make do with whats affordable as we try to get into a better spot financially.

thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you have a Tractor Supply near by they have a store brand called 4Health that is very good and around $18 for a 15 lb bag. They also sell Taste of the Wild at about $12 for a 6lb bag. I think the prices compares to Authority and they are both better food.

This is a great website to research food www.dogfoodadvisor.com
There are several reasonably priced foods that are better than many of the higher priced ones. If you have a Costco near they sell Kirklands at a good price. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I feed 4Health also. They have done well on it for the last five months now. It is only at a TSC though to my knowledge. I feed my three and my Sister's two dogs. I have to watch my pennies also. :) I like the lamb and rice the best. It is less gassy. They also have a little bite formula I use for the two little dogs. The other three big dogs get the Lamb and rice. The chicken and rice made the room clear! Lol! :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Have you taken your dog to a vet to make sure there's nothing else going on?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Have you checked out or tried Natural Balance? I like to get their wet and it all seems pretty reasonably priced and geared toward sensitive tummies(I've yet to do any reading on it though).

Sorry, I don't know anything about Purina Beyond.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas. There is a Tractor Supply store about 10 miles away. This sounds dumb, but although I knew it was there, its never occurred to me to shop there for the dogs. My brother goes there all the time for his menagerie (30-40 animals) so I guess in my head Ive thought it was a farm animal store.

I bought two 5lb bags of chicken flavor 4health, at $5.99 a bag its a better price than Authority and MUCH closer, and the ingredients look better.

all dog food smells bad to me, lol, but the dogs went crazy last night over the smell, danced all the way to their dishes:)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I feed TOTW HP canned/dry & my dogs so far, love it... You will have to switch them gradually tho esp if you have been feeding something grain inclusive. I would recommend wetlands or pacific stream (of your dogs aren't allergic or adversive to chicken/fish) their website is www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com.

Izze also sometimes has probs with puking sometimes, she has since she was a pup but she is also healthy, nothing wrong with her, except a sensitive stomach I suppose. Her episodes have lessened since I switched foods

·
Registered
821 Posts
That's great :) 4health is def better than the Authority of Purina One Beyond.

Another to keep in mind is Whole Earth Farms by Merrick. It's a great food and is quite cheap as well. I think it's like $10 for 8lbs and $21 for 17.5lbs.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I love TSC. Another brand you could look at is Diamond Naturals. It's about the same quality as 4Health, but a bit cheaper. If you want to go up in quality when your finances improve, TOTW is good. Or you could rotate between those 3 brands. . .that's what I do (plus Chicken Soup but they don't have that at TSC).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts