Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DH called me a few minutes ago and told me that a co worker of his has a pom puppy that he needs to "get rid" of. DH and I have thought about it and we're considering taking the puppy. We have 6 children ages teen to 2 years. We also have a cat, but I'm not much worried as I think that since it's a pup we'll be able to train it to leave the cat alone. My teen is very knowledgeable about dogs and I am quite confident that we'll be able to train it. In fact, I believe my daughter is on dog forums. Now, even if we don't keep the dog we are adamant about giving it a right nice home.

We don't too much about poms, other then the fact they're great dogs and loving family members... We don't know for sure that the puppy is full bred, (I highly doubt it) but the guy says the pup appears to be.

I'm sorry I can't give more info, all I know is a little pom puppy needs a home.

Anyway sorry for rambling. Could you please give me your opinions and experiences with Pomeranians and especially pom pups?

Thank you,
R

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
How old is the pup? Do you know where he got the pup from?

Please do some reading in the food forums to learn how to feed your pup a good quality food.

I had a partial pom once - he was great, very friendly, sweet, easy to traing. Poms are great little dogs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 9 mo pom right now and by is she yappy. But I do believe that she learned if from the neighbors dogs because whenever someone comes by she would bark at them. And if there's a siren she would do a bark/howl thing, and that she definitely learned that from the neighbor's dog. Since it's a puppy I would highly recommend to teach it NOT to bite you. When we first bought her home she would bite our toes and fingers. You might wanna consider on getting a harness to walk the dog instead of the collar.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Keep it separated from the 2 yr old if you aren't right there watching. Puppy teeth are sharp, and Poms are kinda fragile. A 2 yr old falling on him could easily break something.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
My obedience trainer, who is fantastic, has a Pom. It's smart as a whip, great in Agility, and she even trained it for Cadaver Dog search(!) along with her Border Collie.

However, it was still yappy whenever people would first enter her property, or towards strange noises or activity in general. Poms are very much 'tempermentally wired' to bark and vocalize. Even though my trainer's was exceptionally trained, the instinct still was there.

So that's something to take into consideration and plan your training strategies around.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Our pom is a really great dog, but was not at first. Depending on the previouls home you may have lots of issues to un-do as you start a training program. I would seriously consider some obedience lessons. And remember to get the dog to your own vet within the first 48-72 hours. With kids running around I would want to know that the dog is healthy and up to date on shots. Do not take the word of the current owner as gospel.

Watch the dog with the little ones. Our pom can be snappish with wee people. And poms are quite small so no fair squeezing it to death either!

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts