Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two friends and a little dog is shared between them. The first friend adopted Ollie a tiny Chihuahua who at most should probably weigh 3 pounds max. She got him at about 3 years old he is now around 8 or 9. She carried him around everywhere instead of walking him. So he refuses to walk on his own most of the time. She and her Dad over fed him with people food. Poor Ollie looked as round as he is tall. Her mom loves to walk and takes Ollie with her where every she goes walking. But Ollie stops after a few minutes. The mom is trying to help Ollie lose the weight but Ollie doesn't like moving and doesn't want to play. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Ollie interested in toys and games?

AJ & Finnlee

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
First of all, Ollie needs to be seen by a vet to work on a proper diet plan and to address any medical conditions like heart disease or arthritis that can impact his ability to be exercised. Also, most little dogs have a lot dental problems, so those would need to be addressed for his overall wellbeing.

After all that has been taken care of, I would recommend that Ollie be fed in a way that increases the amount of "work" that he needs to do to get his food by using food toys, or even just scattering his food across the floor so that he has to "hunt it down".

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would also suggest that his primary problem here is dietary. No amount of exercise is going to counter his bad diet! Once they feed him a proper amount of healthy food (not junk dog food with a lot of corn) then he'll lose weight pretty quickly... and then he'll probably feel more like playing.

But Leo's suggestion of game-oriented or work-oriented meals wouldn't hurt. Mom could hold him while Dad sits his food down on the other end of the house, and make him walk to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts