Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Quick question - how uncomfortable is the process?

Our original vet (who moved cross country) said that she tried to schedule chipping with a spay/neuter (or other surgery) because the microchip needle was much larger than a regular vaccine needle. We're having our puppy spayed tomorrow; should we insist that they microchip her then? Otherwise we can get it done at a microchipping / licensing event sponsored by our local kennel club in two weeks.

Thanks!
I had Benny micro chipped under anesthesia. I would have had it done during his neuter if we had not waited until he was a year old to do so.

How is she today ? Did she get to come home yet?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had Benny micro chipped under anesthesia. I would have had it done during his neuter if we had not waited until he was a year old to do so.

How is she today ? Did she get to come home yet?
She's home and sleeping on the bed with my husband. They said she was very good and quite popular the hospital. Now I just need to explain to my husband that we need to pay another $18 to register the chip (after paying over $1000 for the surgery). This is why I need my own credit card :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Good to hear! I know I had to use care credit for Leeo's hospital bill. It was over $3400. :( Have you tried care credit for future use? It is also good for human things like some dental and physicians who accept it? It may be worth checking out in case you are ever in a pinch. :)

·
Banned
122 Posts
In the scheme of things, it's really not that large. Hell, I had a bigger needle put through my septum when I got it pierced and the punches in my ear. It's also super quick.
yes.. its all relative.. i have only ever had a needle stuck in me for blood drawing during pregnancy [and absolutely refused to look at the needle, but i can assume it was quite small].

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
yes.. its all relative.. i have only ever had a needle stuck in me for blood drawing during pregnancy [and absolutely refused to look at the needle, but i can assume it was quite small].
I think I'm more bothered by actually sticking it in the dog than the dog is. It took me a minute to be able to stick dogs with needles in general.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good to hear! I know I had to use care credit for Leeo's hospital bill. It was over $3400. :( Have you tried care credit for future use? It is also good for human things like some dental and physicians who accept it? It may be worth checking out in case you are ever in a pinch. :)
Thanks, I've heard of care credit. The issue for my husband was really more about the bill being significantly more than the vet quoted. The vet gave the price for the surgery only and didn't include any of the other fees.

In the scheme of things, it's really not that large. Hell, I had a bigger needle put through my septum when I got it pierced and the punches in my ear. It's also super quick.
Ouch! I had my ears pierced at 13 and swore never to pierce or tattoo anything else ever.

I'm a semi-regular blood donor, but still can't watch the needle going in or out. I've watched surgeries on tv and even have somewhat realistic fake brains in my office at work, but needles and scalpels freak me out.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts