Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just seen on the news today that it will become compulsory for all dog owners to have their dogs chipped in the uk:)
i think its going to be the responsibility of the breeders first and foremost, but everyone will have to comply. i know this wont stop dog fighting rings but i think it goes a long way to help.:clap2:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I see this part a positive ... IMHO it may keep the people who like to abandon their animals in check ... or actually make them think twice before owning a dog. :(

I have not thought about it long enough to come up with a disadvantage to this. :/

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have not thought about it long enough to come up with a disadvantage to this. :/
The fact that it had to be mandated is a bit disheartening. In the scope of a dog's initial cost (equipment, shots, training, etc) a chip is really really cheap & quick.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
The fact that it had to be mandated is a bit disheartening. In the scope of a dog's initial cost (equipment, shots, training, etc) a chip is really really cheap & quick.
Yeah ... the mandating part is kind of sad. :(

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
although i can see even more abandoned dogs as people wont want to pay for a chip, vet prices vary greatly by the way, so some people will just 'lose' their dogs and even if all dogs do have to be chipped there is a £15 fee to change address/name details which a lot of people arent paying now.
there are so many dogs in shelters with a chip but the owners cannot be traced :(

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I see the appeal of this for sure, but I know a 9 year old dog whose chip (implanted when he was a puppy) has become so encapsulated in scar tissue over time that he now has a big lump on his back which will probably at some point need to be surgically removed. I know anything can have side effects, but the chips are not infallible, and plenty of vets and shelters don't even scan for them -- not to mention that the scanning technology changes and goes obsolete, and not to mention the privacy concerns that no one ever really discusses. Therefore, I question the cost-benefit here. Microchips don't prevent a deadly disease like rabies vaccines. They probably don't even really prevent dogfighting rings and dog theft. Chips are a good thing on the whole, and I think they should be promoted and even subsidized so they're low cost or free, but I actually don't agree that they should be legally mandated. I know I'm in the minority here

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
although i can see even more abandoned dogs as people wont want to pay for a chip, vet prices vary greatly by the way, so some people will just 'lose' their dogs and even if all dogs do have to be chipped there is a £15 fee to change address/name details which a lot of people arent paying now.
there are so many dogs in shelters with a chip but the owners cannot be traced :(

Wow! .... that is scary! ..... I know here it is $20 to transfer a chip to a new owner. I guess I never thought about the process as it begins to take place ... :/

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
our vets scans every cat and dog that is a new patient, even tiny puppies which is great as the kitten/pup could have been stolen. not all vets practise this but most shelters do, and the dog wardens check for chips every time they pick up a 'stray'. it is a shame that it has to become mandatory and i think they've done it because of the dangerous dogs act. a couple of weeks ago a group of police officers were attacked by a staffordshire bull terrier, the new pitbull over here) so it seems a bit suspect that all of a sudden the are enforcing people to chip their dogs...........

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
How do they expect chipping to prevent dog fighting or loose vicious dogs? Or is it just so they can prosecute the registered owner?

I think chipping is a good idea but I don't think it should be mandated.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
How do they expect chipping to prevent dog fighting or loose vicious dogs? Or is it just so they can prosecute the registered owner?

I think chipping is a good idea but I don't think it should be mandated.
Ditto. My dog is chipped, but mandating it will actually make things worse in the long run.

All this will result in is more people deciding not to take their dogs to the vet, and creating yet another offense to prosecute people for.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i agree with the above. it has been suggested that people on benefits who breed dogs for profit should have their benefits stopped, i agree with this too but i just dont see how they are going to police that,the same with chipping all dogs. the staffordshire bull terrier is very over bred here, rescues are full to the brim with the infact some rescue wont take them any more as they cant re home them.
somebody suggested that all dogs should be castrated/spayed by the breeders, apart from certain ones who could be bred from, but that wont work either. they say that if every dog was chipped then they would be able to trace the owners of stray/dangerous dogs, but as i said before, there are hundreds of people now who just dump their dog when they move, not changing the chip details so they cant be traced.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Since the first of January this year, it's also compulsory in my country. And while I'm happy with it, I've also been made aware that there are already cases of dogs being brought into the shelter with their microchip cut out of their bodies... :(

If someone really has bad intent with their dog, they won't be stopped with mandated microchipping.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't see how this will help.

It will be wildly expensive and almost impossible to enforce and it will be another thing that only the responsible owners will do, much like the license issue here.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know anything can have side effects, but the chips are not infallible, and plenty of vets and shelters don't even scan for them -- not to mention that the scanning technology changes and goes obsolete, and not to mention the privacy concerns that no one ever really discusses. Therefore, I question the cost-benefit here.
Just like human vaccines I believe they should be heavily encouraged but not mandated. My understanding is that the scanners used by vets scan for several types of chips. As for privacy, it's a balance. The info on the chip is pretty much the same as that on her tags. One thing about lost dogs is that many people can not ID a dog's breed. When Spirit first came to my house I probably misidentified her breed and therefore accidentally put erroneous info on the flyers I posted. If she was chip I would driven her back to her home. To this day I wonder if there is some family missing their dog because to this day I never figured out her breed.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Just like human vaccines I believe they should be heavily encouraged but not mandated. My understanding is that the scanners used by vets scan for several types of chips. As for privacy, it's a balance. The info on the chip is pretty much the same as that on her tags. One thing about lost dogs is that many people can not ID a dog's breed. When Spirit first came to my house I probably misidentified her breed and therefore accidentally put erroneous info on the flyers I posted. If she was chip I would driven her back to her home. To this day I wonder if there is some family missing their dog because to this day I never figured out her breed.
Wouldn't a picture of the dog do the job, even if you got the breed wrong?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Depending on where you live. In my area (and the area I used to live) you never posted a picture in a found dog ad - ever - if you didn't want to dog picked up for fighting or as a bait dog. Dog fighting was huge in my area and it was common practice to post "small" "medium" "large" or just a weight and appx. age on a flyer and if the dog was male/female and ask the caller to describe the dog (in great detail) and any collars, harnesses etc. Dog theft was also huge in my area for "regal" or "fighting" looking breeds if you will such as huskies, great danes, pits - that also got in the way of finding the actual owner.

While a good idea, mandatory chipping won't stop the people that are already/okay with breaking the law. This is one more thing to tag onto what they may eventually get charged with but it won't stop them.
Responsible people will do it. Those in the middle (the ones who don't abuse their animals but aren't actively involved per se) will most likely have dogs with outdated information from 3 owners back or unchipped dogs all together. It will be like the rabies vaccine - it is mandated law here - but there is no way to enforce it. I can't tell you how many dogs I've seen that have never had the vaccine (and in Texas that's just the owner being stupid as there are animals that carry and will give it to your dog as part of the natural Texas flora).

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a large full color picture on the flier, but as we know dogs can walk a few miles per day. From her looks and talking to neighbors she'd be on the streets for several weeks. Therefore the breed is important when checking missing pet ads online and when talking to animal control (in case the owner contacted them).

·
Banned
199 Posts
Since the first of January this year, it's also compulsory in my country. And while I'm happy with it, I've also been made aware that there are already cases of dogs being brought into the shelter with their microchip cut out of their bodies... :(

If someone really has bad intent with their dog, they won't be stopped with mandated microchipping.
Holy crap, that's horrifying! :(

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly is chipped already, it will not make every owner chip there dogs, how are they going to check?, not every owner takes there dog to the vet even, and people who fight there dogs are not going to get them chipped, and microchipped dog still get stolen, and yes people will cut the microchip out, a greyhound once had it's ear cut off by it's owner so they couldn't trace who the dog was owned by.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts