Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think it is beneficial. A dog tag can be removed and anyone can claim your dog. A microchip is permanent. I'm not sure of the side effects. I would talk to your vet about that.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Most people get their dogs a microchip or a tattoo. I would not rely on just an identification tag... tags can be removed, collars can come off, and in fact, many owners don't bother putting a collar on their dogs at home. I have a microchip and a collar that includes a tag that says "microchipped" and gives a number to call. Shelters and vets have a scanner that will read the microchip number, although some scanners can only read some microchips.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You should definitely do it. I used to volunteer at a shelter in Philly, and we had dogs and cats that were reunited with their families solely because they'd been microchipped. All shelters and most vets have devices to read microchip info. Last fall there was a really sweet stray cat hanging around my neighborhood who I took to the shelter. Her owners had just moved to a different part of philly and she escaped from a balcony. They cried when they saw her! It was wonderful.
As far as side-effects go, I don't think there are any. I agree with dragonsdustt -- you should ask your vet if you're concerned.
The only thing I would warn you about is getting the right kind of microchip. Apparently there are competing companies in the US that offer different kind of microchips that can't all be read by the same devices. I would be sure to get the kind of microchip that the shelters (the SPCA, most importantly) can read. I know that Petsmart's microchip is a different kind and can't be read by the shelters' readers. (Or at least, that's how is was two years ago.)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Both my girls are microchipped, and if I decide to keep my new foster pup that I rescued, I will definitely microchip him as well. What good does a chip do? Well, I had a good experience with it. My trainer had found a GSD mix, and asked me if I wanted to have her. I said yes, I would keep her at my home, and if we couldn't find her home, I probably would have kept her. Well, the vet wasn't open on Sunday, so I kept her overnight and took her to the vet the very next morning to have her checked for a chip, and she was. I got their info and called them, and they were extremely happy to get her back. She had been missing for over 2 months. And the kids were devistated. So it was a great family reunion when they got their beloved pup back. So I believe strongly in chipping your dog. I would do it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm also considering microchipping my puppy when I get her fixed, which only costs 30 dollars. I wanted to read as much as possible about any negative side effects, so I'm only posting what I read

I was on wiki, which had some information about causing tumors and here's the citied report

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/08/AR2007090800997_pf.html

veterinary associations responded with continued support for the procedure as reasonably safe for cats and dogs, pointing to rates of serious complications on the order of one in a million in the U.K., which has a system for tracking such adverse reactions and has chipped over 3.7 million pet dogs.

I'm still most likely going to get the my puppy microchipped

·
Super Moderator
11,847 Posts
My long-distance runner, Molly, has been recovered twice without tags because she is chipped. I've gotten her back a few more times because she did have her tags and somebody called me, but the chip is, for her, an essential backup.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
My dogs are all chipped. And my daughter works for a vet who says the scanner can read all chips. The trick is to really scan the dog thoroughly as some of the microchips in some dogs will migrate to the shoulders. The chip is normally implanted in the area between the shoulder blades at the base of the neck. But over time they can migrate a bit. So the person scanning has to be really thorough.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Zero is chipped, but Brutus isn't. My vet quoted me $80 to have him chipped, but I've seen places around here that will do it for half the price. If I knew he was going to be around for a couple of years, I'd have him chipped too. He does wear tags though and I know if someone found him, they'd pay me to take him back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Seems the humane society has the best prices on putting in the chips and they do more than anybody else as every pet has to have one that leaves the shelter at least in my location. Their price is 30 dollars in my area

·
Registered
171 Posts
What do y'll think about microchiping? Are they any negative side effects too it? Do y'll reccomended it or should i just stick to the old fashion way...name tag?:confused:
As far as I know there are no negative side effects too micro-chipping your dog. There are some cases where if the microchip was inserted incorrectly it can either migrate under the animals skin, which shouldn't harm the animal or it can be discharged through the same opening it was implanted in.

Sometimes it can also cause fluid to accumulate around the implantation site which could cause a lump, but this is very rare.

I would recommend microchipping your dog. Tag can get lost easily. I've seen many situations where people's pets were stolen by puppy millers... the ones who had their dogs microchipped had their dogs returned. One dog was returned 5 years after it was lost... it was stolen by a local puppy miller out of the owner's back yard.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My two shelter dogs are chipped. My 3rd is not but I plan on getting done. I recommend it. It's how they found my troubled husky's family (even though they didn't want her back).

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Both my dogs are chipped. It's a little peace of mind for me.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
All three of my dogs are chipped. Plus in PA you can buy a lifetime dog license.
Cost to chip my dog is $40 each which includes the registration.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Our dog was chipped by the breeder as a pup. She is now over two years old, and I was not given any information about the chip. It has occurred to me (better late than never I guess) that perhaps I was supposed to register her? Or do the puppy stores/breeders do this when you purchase the dog? I had our vet scan her to make sure of the number, they used a scanner that didn't find anything, then used a 2nd one and found it down in her shoulder area, so I have the chip number. So -how do I register her, and do all vets/shelters take the time to search for a chip, and use multiple scanners?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You need to register her chip with the company that made it. Zoey's microchip was an AKC one of some sort.. so her's is registered with the AKC..(edit: AKC CAR) they do NOT automatically register it.. You need to do it yourself. How else would they get your name and contact info? :p

1 - 20 of 37 Posts