Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. If you find a chipped animal, how do you find the owner? Or better, how do you find out where it's registered? There are a handful well known companies I would call first, but it seems that new companies are popping up daily that accept all chips. Do I need to call each company and what if I miss one that's not known to me?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don't have a chip number to try it out, but does that mean if an AVID chip is used which is registered/transferred to another new small company like FINDME (I made this name up) I will get the owner's information from FINDME? Or will it say AVID chip - owner not found?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Most people have to take the dog to a vet or shelter to have them scanned :D. The vet/shelter should know who to contact. if you, personally, have a scanner, then, yeah, try the websites. But if those don't work for you, definitely call a vet/shelter to find out who they would contact.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
You will not get the owner's information at all. Chip companies don't give out people's personal information willy nilly.

You will get the manufacturer of the chip, and call them to report the dog as found. Then the company contacts the owner, or if the chip is not registered the clinic or shelter the chip was sold to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I do get the part with get dog scanned, vet/shelter contacts owner and dog gets reunited. Back in the days it seemed very reliable. So here's an example: I get a dog, I get him an AVID chip. I register him with FINDME (a new tiny company I made up) because they offer me a better deal. What are the chances I get him back? What happens at the vet's office? They have the chip number and then? They call each company on a list until they run out? Or do they call a main data base? The last dog I found gave me the runarounds. I called company after company only to find out that the dog was not registered with them anymore. I thought microchips were great, but lately I'm beginning to wonder how great they really are if they are registered with a not so well known company. Seems like companies are more into $ than reuniting pets.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I haven't heard of any company that cancels registration of a chip. Once you buy and register a chip it's good for life. You need to update your information if you move but payment is a one and done deal. Some companies offer extra services for a yearly fee but simply having the chip registered to you is always good.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yea generally once a chip is registered with a database, it is in there forever. Some companies charge yearly fees for various "extras," though. And one chip can be registered with multiple databases.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Basically, given your scenario, if you buy an AVID chip then you should register it with AVID. You can register with additional registries if you would like, but you NEED to register with the manufacturer if you want to minimize the chance of your pet not returning home. The reason for this is that if I find your dog I have no idea that it's registered with FindMe(your made up company). When I take your dog into my vet they would scan him and call their microchip company. They may call HomeAgain, AVID, or one of the other numerous microchip companies. If they call anyone other than FindMe(your made up company) no one will be able to find you. All the other companies will tell me or my vet to contact AVID since they're are the manufacturer and AVID will say the chip was never registered and become a dead end. The only hope for reuniting your pet at that point would be to contact whomever AVID sold the chip to and hope they kept good records and that your contact information has not changed.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Just a note, I can't stress enough that even if a microchip is not registered, the company can (and will) look up who they sold it to - veterinarian, shelter, etc. So don't give up on an unregistered microchip, because a clinic or shelter will usually have a record of which pet they implanted the chip in even if it wasn't registered and the owner can still be found.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts