Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's disgusting, and I read on DogTime that he was thinking of getting a puppy for his kids... it's not right at all.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
I remember Vick, I remember the atrocities...those will be hard to forget, but I'm capable of moving on.
IF he met any of his dogs... chances are they would forgive him.... But dogs are better than us.

In any case, I am strongly in favor of him getting another dog. (non fighting breed)

And I think it needs to be a public affair.

The potential for a positive impact on a culture within this country is huge.
Him standing up, saying he was wrong, and moving forward and owning a dog the right way could go along way towards breaking the inner city dog fighting culture.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I haven't forgotten what he did, he's a terrible person but I've seen worse. The only reason his case was brought to the public eye was because he was Michael Vick, there are thousands of other cases just as bad happening everyday that get little to no media attention.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Him standing up, saying he was wrong, and moving forward and owning a dog the right way could go along way towards breaking the inner city dog fighting culture.
Unfortunately, I don't think he ever said that what he did to the dogs was wrong. He talked about his kids, his career, etc. But he never came out and said that fighting dogs and his extreme cruelty to the dogs in his "care" was wrong. I don't believe that he has changed. I don't believe he should ever be allowed to own an animal ever again. I heard one of his interviews about his new book. Not one word about the poor animals he tortured. He really needs to come clean. Lots of PR, that's all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think he ever said that what he did to the dogs was wrong. He talked about his kids, his career, etc. But he never came out and said that fighting dogs and his extreme cruelty to the dogs in his "care" was wrong. I don't believe that he has changed. I don't believe he should ever be allowed to own an animal ever again. I heard one of his interviews about his new book. Not one word about the poor animals he tortured. He really needs to come clean. Lots of PR, that's all.
I totally agree with you, I would be worried that if he gets another dog that he will abuse it. He has already proven that he doesn't respect animals and has shown no real remorse for his actions.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Actually that is incorrect. He has directly apologized and stated that dog fighting is wrong and that he rejects it. Publically... Multiple times. Starting with his statement in ESPN right after he entered his plea. He took full responsibility, never made any excuses, stated he let down those whom believed in him, said dog fighting is a terrible thing, and stated he rejected it....

I have little concern for him having a dog. So many eyes will be on him....

Compared to what happens out there, Vick's cruelty is a tiny drop in the bucket. The positive impact he could have turning others away from that culture could have a far greater positive impact than his past cruel behavior had a negative impact.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Actually, I believe attitudes can change and perhaps he can be the ones to change them in certain places.

My husband started recording hip hop last year (shorter, easier sessions = more money for less effort), so now we have some new friends who grew up in really awful places in the US. These friends have never seen a dog kept as a pet. Dogs in those places are either for fighting or guarding property, not for companionship. One guy said that Muggsy was spoiled because I let him live inside.

Think about that for a second. To people like this, a dog inside being fed regularly is spoiled. They couldn't even figure out why I walk my dog. And toys? What kind of crazy person am I? Vaccinations, vet care, grooming? I may as well be a Martian.

The thing is, I'm rubbing off on them. They've really taken a liking to Kabota and they've come to see a dog inside, with toys, being walked as normal. I've changed how they see dog ownership, and I'm just one white lady from PA. Imagine how much good a black football player could do in these communities.

Plus, he's not going to abuse the dog. He's under way too much scrutiny.

Note: I don't like Vick and I don't think he's a good guy and I'd have been happy to beat him with a bat myself for what he did, but I do think good could come of this.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well I've said this before, had a friend that did not fight dogs but he said he liked watching the fights and what a sport it was etc. I told him not to let me know where a fight was at cause I would turn-em all in. Point is I don't like fighting dogs.

That's one strike, the way they killed the unwanted dogs for whatever reasons they had for the slaughter is what I'll never forgive, a 22 bullet in the head is quick and relatively painless compared to what he/they did to the dogs.

I know he's not worried about what I think of him, but regardless the man has a little bit of the Marquis De Sade floating around inside of him.

Hey, many people come from a bad neighborhood and manage to survive without animal cruelty being high on their bucket lists. Dogs got me out of a bad lifestyle/neighborhood etc.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
He's a disgusting excuse for a human.
I'm fairly certain I read somewhere he called dogfighting 'part of black culture' and I have several african american friends who would quickly stand up and slap him for that. Way to generalize.
It takes a dirty person to get off on watching animals be tortured and conditioned to kill one another.
Personally, I do not believe a word he says about reforming, about wanting to turn his life around, and I'm fairly sure if anyone else was caught in his situation, they would not be able to legally own an animal again. I firmly believe anything he does or says is to save face and try to get his reputation back up. I quite frankly don't care how good of a ball player he was, that doesn't mean he's a good person.

Vick may have come from a poor place, but he became a star with all the money and knowledge he could ask for. There was no ignorance or poor raising coming into play. A grown man knows better, and it should feel wrong to do something like this. I grew up surrounded by people who starve and beat their animals, people who easily dump them on the side of the road or shoot them. I've seen cruelty, grown up around it, and yet I know it's wrong. I couldn't do something like this. Even if I had grown up in the middle of dog fighting, I highly doubt I would ever be able to do it myself because it churns my stomach.

So, in my opinion, things like this have very little to do with the way you were raised or where you live or came from, it's what sort of person you are.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
As a Pit Bull owner myself, he can go rot as far as I care. I never want to see him with a dog again, and as far as I care, if he died tomorrow I'd cheer. Yup I said it. If I could curse on DF this post would have many more colorful words in it.

That man is no help to the anti-fighting community. He's funded by the HSUS and all of his words are fake. Anyone who stands behind him and the HSUS needs to take a good look at their own values.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Obviously, H$U$ has a short memory, since they hired him as a spokesman. But they don't really like dogs (especially pit bulls) anyway

·
Registered
400 Posts
And said he'd make a good dog owner....

I think that he could become good possibly. He could become a major person for BSL maybe. It's funny, I was just thinking about him earlier. I am not liking him now though, pits are another of my loves.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
does anyone remember Michael Vick and his atrocities, or am I the only one who will never forget!!!!
I'm finding it odd that you could come onto a dog forum and suggest that ANYONE here has forgotten Michael Vick.

But I also think that devoting your attention and passion to a single, high-profile dog fighter (who got caught) is short-sighted and not terribly productive. What are you, and the others who would like to string up Vick, doing to educate yourselves about the ones who haven't been caught? Do you happen to know if there is active dog fighting in your county? Would you recognize the signs? What you you do about it?

Rants are fine, but there is real evil going on today, and much of it is probably close to home.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
This is not about Liking Michael Vick.... Thinking he is a good guy...... Etc.....
His association with HSUS I dispise..... But I am 99 percent sure he never paid them and am certain they have not paid him.

The thing is..... They guy can get another dog. He does not need anyone's approval at this point.

And I am quite confident that can be translated into a positive change in the inner city

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm quite curious that no one has, and no one every will, forget Michael Vick. At least not in my generation, or within a society of dog owners. I had to have been eight when I first saw the reports on it, and even back then it made my stomach clench as I embraced my first dog, whom I had only gotten a day ago. Michael Vick is a horrible, horrible person and what he did to those dogs is absolutely disgusting. Ugh... it's atrocious.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Of course we remember him, I doubt any true dog lover will forget him. I'm sure every dog fighter will also never forget him. He shed unwelcome light on their "sport". I'm really sorry his kids want a dog but I don't think he should ever be allowed to own another dog. I can't think of one reason why he should. He may have learned a lesson, at least he spouts that but no one knows. I think this of anyone who neglects, abuses, etc a dog. They lost their chance. It's a living, breathing being that could possibly pay the price. The fact he is "famous" is one reason, for me, that he should not ever be allowed to own a dog. Oh, I should say have a dog living in his home. I suppose a wife/SO/friend could technically own a dog but if he's living there, no dog should.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts