Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend the best trap/humane trap for mice?

We have a mouse problem and our current humane trap is turning up empty day after day. It has peanut butter and dog biscuit crumbs in it already. It's currently in a vent.

Somebody has offered to let us borrow their cat but this place is crowded enough with two species in it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Do you know anybody with a ferret? If so, ask them for some used litter, and leave small containers of it around the house. Mice hate ferret smell. If you don't know anybody personally, ask at PetCo. . .you never know.

For the traps, I think you have to put them around the trail the mice usually travel. If they don't like peanut butter, try other things they usually like. . .candy, dog food, soap (they alway seem to chew on soap, LOL), cheese, other kinds of nuts, etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Usually it will take multiple traps in several locations where you have seen droppings.

If you use live traps and catch a mouse, don't just release it outside your house, or he'll be back in the house before you are. I used to drive about ten miles to release captured mice into an open field. Since it was an area frequented by red-tailed hawks, I probably wasn't doing the mice any favors and, with gas prices being what they ate, I'm less inclined to use a live trap.

In my mind, a humane trap is one that kills the mouse quickly (as opposed to something like those sticky traps.) that may be what you meant.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Whatever trap you use ... I know for a fact the mice around here LOVE glycerin soap! :) Especially the lemon flavor! lol! :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Would the ferret smell drive them out of the house or would it just discourage more mice from moving in?
It should make them leave. . .but maybe your mice are especially brave or they think the cold outside is worse than dodging a ferret. So no guarantees, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm going to pick up some of the more humane/live mouse traps. The glue ones got terrible reviews across the board so I'm not going to try that one.

I think I'd rather feed the hawks than deal with a dead mouse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts