Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, i need to vent a bit, as i know you people are animal lovers, and maybe i'll feel better when i read your angry comments about what happened couple of days ago..

(This was Live news)
In the morning while eating breakfast prior going to school, i was watching the news, all cool, until i saw something that really surprised me.

Apparently a family reported that their neighbor (a veterinarian's house, not the clinic) had a leopard Cub in his house, so off goes animal control to check it out, they used a 30ft ladder to climb and see the through the second level window, of course the cub destroyed his crate and the rest of the house, they didn't take the cub out because they wanted to wait for the vet, plus, there was a *beautifull german shepherd guarding a gate besides the door, and they were scared of it.

Now at 10 AM they started the ops, opened the front door by brute force since the vet didn't show up, all men there were being sissies and ran away when the cub jumped (i really laughed at that) and a woman who works in the nature welfare just walked in, and grabber the cub with her bare hands, and put him in a new crate. O.k, the thing was done, they had nothing else do to there, right? WRONG!

They just couldn't resist to see the beautifull german shepherd barking at them, so they saw him as a threat! They call rabies control (dog had his red collar, which is the mexican symbol for rabies I.D.) and through the gate they put one of these makeshift choking traps that slide and constrict the throat (awesome equipment isnt it....) and while holding the trap they knock the gate down, the dog was spining like a croc trying to free from the constricting trap while crying in pain, and the stupid animal control was just holding the trap and watching the dog choke and scream until the dog just fell on the floor and died, it was very graphic to see the dog foaming that much and then pant to death.

What made me angry is that they had nothing else to do there! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING they already had the leopard cub, why go and bug the german shepherd, i still don't get it...

Vent is over now.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Sounds like they didn't need to kill the dog. It's one of those things where you just scratch your head and wonder if people just do things for the sheer hell of it.. pretty sick.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the AC office is staffed by somebody's relatives, and not people who understand and care about animals.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
This is why I say so often that when we hear of someone with a dog in another country we need to look at the situation differently. We cannot look at these things thru Americanized eyes.

I think the whole thing absolutely tromped on the home owner's rights.. here in the US they would have to have a search warrant and there is a protocol for search and seizure. doG knows what happened to the poor kitten too. They choking of the dog was just sick. In other countries there are not the animal protection laws there are here in the US. In other countries there are not the human rights laws as we have in the US.

Erick, I am very sorry you had to see this and I am even sorrier that there are places where depicting what was, (from your description), pure cruelty is OK.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
This is why I say so often that when we hear of someone with a dog in another country we need to look at the situation differently. We cannot look at these things thru Americanized eyes.

I think the whole thing absolutely tromped on the home owner's rights.. here in the US they would have to have a search warrant and there is a protocol for search and seizure. doG knows what happened to the poor kitten too. They choking of the dog was just sick. In other countries there are not the animal protection laws there are here in the US. In other countries there are not the human rights laws as we have in the US.
In a lot of cases, things are just as bad in the US. I'll have to search for a link when I get home, but there was a case in Oklahoma recently where a police officer was videotaped shooting a woman's Cocker Spaniel without provocation. The officer claimed the dog was being aggressive and feared for his life (the dog was running up to him), and wasn't disciplined.

What made it ridiculous was (1) anyone with any dog experience whatsoever could tell from the video that this wasn't an aggressive dog, (2) he was on the woman's property without cause (there was no call in the neighborhood, and he gave no reason for why he was driving up to the house), (3) he had a civilian friend riding with him in the squad car while on duty, which was against regulations in and of itself, and (4) he was standing at the door of his car, and could have easily just stepped back in and shut the door instead of drawing his weapon and firing. Oh, and (5) this was a 30 pound cocker spaniel.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
A few years back an officer was in persuit of a car thief.. The thief was running through subdivisions, hopping over fences to elude the officer. The officer shoots every dog in every yard he entered. Because he says he was in fear for his life.

it happens in the US quite frequently. it depends on the person doing the deeds..not the country.

·
Registered
364 Posts
In a lot of cases, things are just as bad in the US. I'll have to search for a link when I get home, but there was a case in Oklahoma recently where a police officer was videotaped shooting a woman's Cocker Spaniel without provocation. The officer claimed the dog was being aggressive and feared for his life (the dog was running up to him), and wasn't disciplined.

What made it ridiculous was (1) anyone with any dog experience whatsoever could tell from the video that this wasn't an aggressive dog, (2) he was on the woman's property without cause (there was no call in the neighborhood, and he gave no reason for why he was driving up to the house), (3) he had a civilian friend riding with him in the squad car while on duty, which was against regulations in and of itself, and (4) he was standing at the door of his car, and could have easily just stepped back in and shut the door instead of drawing his weapon and firing. Oh, and (5) this was a 30 pound cocker spaniel.
I *think* I know what you're talking about, but I think it was an Airedale. I could be wrong there, but I've seen a video that is pretty much that to a T and it was an Airedale.

Still wrong.

ETA--here is the video that I was thinking of. It is disturbing and shows the dog being killed, so if you don't want to watch that, don't.

http://www.videosift.com/video/Officer-Kills-Puppy-In-Oklahoma

·
Registered
434 Posts
Honestly, I could see if he doesn't know dogs well how he might worry the dog was being aggressive (or rather worry what the dog's intentions were). If I had a dog running at me and it wasn't obvious whether it was friendly or not (not growling but not displaying really obvious signs that it was just wanting to say hi), I'd be apprehensive as well. And honestly, by the time he got to his car door, I could see the dog getting to him first.

Now, not sure he couldn't have tried other options (like don't many have tasers these days? or even batons he could have reached for in case the dog was aggressive).. but I can see his point as well judging from that video.

Really, the best thing that would have stopped this is not letting hte dog run free and putting some one in the situation they have to decide quickly if the dog is being aggressive or not.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few years back an officer was in persuit of a car thief.. The thief was running through subdivisions, hopping over fences to elude the officer. The officer shoots every dog in every yard he entered. Because he says he was in fear for his life.

it happens in the US quite frequently. it depends on the person doing the deeds..not the country.
If you notice, most cases like this happen in a year basis,maybe monthly, but it is very common here in mexico..
So saddly, i think it has to do alot with the country, it's sad, very sad.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Honestly, I could see if he doesn't know dogs well how he might worry the dog was being aggressive (or rather worry what the dog's intentions were). If I had a dog running at me and it wasn't obvious whether it was friendly or not (not growling but not displaying really obvious signs that it was just wanting to say hi), I'd be apprehensive as well. And honestly, by the time he got to his car door, I could see the dog getting to him first.

Now, not sure he couldn't have tried other options (like don't many have tasers these days? or even batons he could have reached for in case the dog was aggressive).. but I can see his point as well judging from that video.

Really, the best thing that would have stopped this is not letting hte dog run free and putting some one in the situation they have to decide quickly if the dog is being aggressive or not.
I don't think someone should have to not let their dog run free on their own property just on the off chance a police officer shows up unannounced. In fact, a lot of people allow their dogs to run free on their property out in the country to dissuade people from coming up like that.

I can see how he might think that if he weren't familiar with dogs, but on the other hand, I know all of the police officers around here carry pepper spray. Like you said, there were other ways to go about that, and he, imo, did not choose the right way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts