Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I have a large, metal, folding dog crate that I got off of craigslist a while back and used it at my parent's house for my Golden when he was younger. The paint is powdery, it has a weird door system where you lift/swing the door up and then slide it down into the latches to close, and it has a piece of painted plywood for the tray. I want to make it look better and more functional, so I am planning on spray painting the entire cage black tomorrow, and getting a new pan at some point. It's supposed to have a metal pan, but I might go with the plastic since it's cheaper and easier to find.

My question is, where can I find a replacement latch that holds the pan/tray in? Or anyone make one of these themselves? Some cage companies call it the "pan stop", which is a piece of metal hinged to the bottom of the front of the crate and swings up in front of the tray and latches so that the tray can't be slid out by the dog. I am not planning on using this crate for some time, but want it operational so that I can store it and pull it out when the need arises. The only time I know it will be used is around the holidays, because Mack has decided that he absolutely LOVES opening presents, so we cannot keep him at my parents house out of his crate when the presents are under the tree.

While Mack doesn't usually stay in a crate, and what I have would work for now, my Mom is planning on getting an Irish Wolfhound puppy in a few years, and would like to borrow the cage for the short time he will fit in there (LOL), so I want it in good condition for him. Any thoughts on how to keep the pan in? I know some dogs that can get the tray out in seconds if it's not secure, and I don't want that to happen. I am going to the hardware store tomorrow, so I might come up with something there...

Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts