Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chico and I just got back from our evening walk.
We walk in a large field where many people take their dogs.
Everyone is really friendly and Chico is being socialized really well.
He even has no issue going potty outside despite being pee pad trained first (don't worry I pick-up his poop unlike some people >.>).

Today while I was picking up his poop (which took longer than planned since the bag got stuck in the dispenser). A lady got out of her car with her French Bulldog in front of us. Immediately the Frenchie began to stare Chico down and started to growl while the lady kept telling her dog to stop. Chico behaved very well by just turning away from the Frenchie and looking at me. Once I was finished Chico and I walked in the other direction and the lady said, "thank you."

Is that proper etiquette when encountering a DA dog? There was no real threat since all dogs involved were leashed (haven't seen an unleashed dog yet) and close to their owners.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yup. Sounds like you handled it fine :) Good boy Chico!

If the dog is leashed and owner is addressing the situation, I have no problem with dog aggressive dogs. If he was OFF leash, then there definitely would have been a problem (or if they had approached without warning or even asked if it was okay).

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Sounds like you handled it fine :) Good boy Chico!

If the dog is leashed and owner is addressing the situation, I have no problem with dog aggressive dogs. If he was OFF leash, then there definitely would have been a problem (or if they had approached without warning or even asked if it was okay).
I'm very happy he wasn't starring back at the dog and trying to entice him.
Some people don't like dog aggressive dogs in dog populated areas, but I also have no issue if the owner is nearby and the dog is leashed.
It's probably good for them to see other dogs just doing their own non-threatening thing :p

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yes you did the right thing :) Certainly no need to chastise the owner or anything like that if she had her dog leashed and it wasn't approaching your dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You did a good job. I had a DA dog, and I always appreciated when people did not try to engage me or my dog and allowed me to move on as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah definitely.
I saw an AMPB yesterday off leash with his owners walking down in a pretty popular park area (everyone walks their dogs around there) it was a one way bridge where we encountered him with only room for two side by side. The owner whipped out the dog's leash and frantically called their dog to them who was oblivious entirely to Sansa still. Before Sansa even saw him and got excited I sat her and adjusted her leash to minimize her excited puppy behaviours and kept her focused on me. Which gave the owners of the other dog enough time to grab their dog and put it on leash. Which they did, and they walked by with their dog yanking on the leash to get to Sansa, but we passed each other fairly effortlessly and once everyone was under control we did that head nod thank-you/good job look and walked away hahaha

You did well, you kind of have to help a fellow dog owner out sometimes and walking away was the best thing for both of you in that situation. Kind of like defensive driving, you have to have a little bit of a defensive walking when out with your dog!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Sounds like you and Chico did excellent!!! Congrats on that! I haven't run into many DA dogs with Caeda (mostly just selective ones, but they warmed up to her), and she barely does half as good as Chico did! Yay for you!!
And, just a kudos to that unknown lady who actually thought to say Thank you, that impresses me too honestly.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Sounds like you and Chico did excellent!!! Congrats on that! I haven't run into many DA dogs with Caeda (mostly just selective ones, but they warmed up to her), and she barely does half as good as Chico did! Yay for you!!
And, just a kudos to that unknown lady who actually thought to say Thank you, that impresses me too honestly.
Maybe it's a Canadian thing haha.
Yeah but honestly most other dog owners I've met have been really friendly and considerate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts