Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had most of Merlin's OFA (genetic) tests done today.
Cardiac, Elbows, Patellas, and Hips.

He already had the PRA done a good while back.

He is a PRA pattern B.... Which means he is a carrier for PRA but will never get it.

Cardiac - Normal
Elbows - Normal
Patellas - Normal
Hips - The xrays look great. The vets comment was "Very Nice!" They should come back at least "GOOD" and maybe excellent.

I sent the whole shooting match to OFA. I should have the Official findings in a couple of weeks.

I still have to have his hearing tested. BAER... I am sure he can hear in both ears but I need to have him tested.

I am also going to have the CERF done as well. He will then get his CHIC number.

I also had him Tattooed while he was out.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
w00t! Congrats so far!

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.....

I will be ansey until I get the official results back.

BTW when they first dosed him to put him under for the xrays, the normal amount for his size dog didn't put a dent in his consiousness.

They had to give him more. Vet looked at me and said, ugh Cattle Dogs and smiled. I said well he is pretty hard wired.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going out on a limb here but...what are all the tests for? :confused:
Two reasons....

Reason number one.... Breeding......

Reason number two.... He will be competing in performance competitions. Herding, Agility or Schutzund. Maybe all three. I have been playing around with all three a bit to see if he has a preference. He doesn't seem to. He loves to work and doesn't seem to care what he is doing.

He just turned two... In that time, I have let him grow up, made sure he got the best care and food, made sure he is obedience trained to a high level.

Now he is grown, in great physical condition and I know that he is as physically sound as he appears to be. I know his heart, hips knees and elbows are strong and well formed. I have also had blood panels on him. So we can train in earnest without worrying about hidden health issues. The time to find out your dog has a bad hip is not when he is in a round pen with three 800 pound steers that would like nothing better than to stomp him silly.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got verbal confirmation of Merlin's OFA results today.
The letters went out to me today and the results should show on OFA's website by early next week.

Hips - Good
Elbows - Normal
Patellas - Normal
Cardiac - Normal

I already did his PRA when he was a puppy. He is a B

I am also sending off the Pawsative DNA kit that tests for all sorts of stuff.

I plan on doing the BAER testing next month.

I may have the CERF done this weekend.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CALL ME WORK N SOME MAGIC
No photo on file
Breed: AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG Dam: DL89094201
Sex: M *Titles:
Color: BLUE, BLACK & TAN CHIC #:
Birthdate: May 28 2007 Addtl. Reg. #
DNA Profile:

OFA Number Registry Test/Film Date Report Date Age Final Conclusion
ACD-PRA1244/3M-VPI-CAR PROGRESSIVE RETINAL ATROPHY Sep 11 2007 Oct 16 2007 3 GENOTYPIC CARRIER FOR prcd-PRA
ACD-CA66/24M/P-VPI CARDIAC Jun 2 2009 Jun 16 2009 24 NORMAL - PRACTITIONER
ACD-PA42/24M/P-VPI PATELLA Jun 2 2009 Jun 16 2009 24 NORMAL - PRACTITIONER
ACD-2433G24M-VPI HIPS Jun 2 2009 Jun 17 2009 24 GOOD
ACD-EL565M24-VPI ELBOW Jun 2 2009 Jun 17 2009 24 NORMAL

I now have all of Merlin's certificates back from OFA on the tests I did last month and the results are all listed on the OFA site.

I also had a CERF done and that came out great.

And.... Today I had him BAER tested (fun fun fun)
His hearing is normal both ears.

With that he is eligible and will be receiving a CHIC number.

I have also sent in his DNA swabs for his DNA profile with the AKC and I did the Pawsative ID as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts