Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Jeff and I will be away from Friday-Sunday for my brother's wedding and Merlin will be staying with a friend.

He will know my parent's dog as she is looking after both of them.

Now here comes my worry. Will he forget me? Will he worry?

I have never left a puppy so young in someone else's hands overnight. He has been babysat by Jeff's parents and didn't even seem to notice.

Should I provide detail instructions for her? Or is that rude?
I want to make sure he is still being trained each day (loose leash walking, basic commands)

He has never slept outside our room in his crate and I am not sure if she will be crating in her room. I may suggest it.

What can I do to make this easier on him?--- or maybe me?
haha

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Merlin will probably enjoy his short vacation more than you will! If he seemed fine before when he stayed with your folks he probably won't mind your friend.

I would ask them to try and keep his schedule the same as you do so he does not become confused or it messes with his potty habits. I don't find that rude personally. I would do the same for my child if I were leaving them with a sitter.

You can call and check in on him from time to time to make yourself feel better. :) I only once ever let one of my dogs go to my one Sister's house for the day .... I hated it! Lol! ... and called and talked to him over the phone! Lol! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Merlin will probably enjoy his short vacation more than you will! If he seemed fine before when he stayed with your folks he probably won't mind your friend.

I would ask them to try and keep his schedule the same as you do so he does not become confused or it messes with his potty habits. I don't find that rude personally. I would do the same for my child if I were leaving them with a sitter.

You can call and check in on him from time to time to make yourself feel better. :) I only once ever let one of my dogs go to my one Sister's house for the day .... I hated it! Lol! ... and called and talked to him over the phone! Lol! :)

LOL .. I love it! " Hello Merlin, Yes it is Mommy"

Yes I think it may be harder on me. My friend is an experienced dog walker (she has been doing it for 10-15 years) and has been doing doggy daycare for about 5 years. She took my parent's doxie after she had back surgery (my parents had to go away) and she has already met Merlin a couple of times.

I am just hoping he doesn't feel like he has lost his mommy! That would really upset me. I am going to pack on of my pjs shirts for him to sleep with. lol.

Thanks Abbylynn!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
The shirt with your scent on it is a great idea! :) Good luck keeping your mind on the wedding and not Merlin!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shirt with your scent on it is a great idea! :) Good luck keeping your mind on the wedding and not Merlin!
Easier said then done.. I am obsessed with him..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Easier said then done.. I am obsessed with him..
I left my puppy at my best friend's apartment when my husband was out of town and checked up on her during lunch. But bonnie had a BLAST there. She got to do stuff that she couldn't at home (like sit on the furniture...and she tries at home now but of course mommy says NO). But she definitely didn't FORGET me! So Don't worry -- Merlin wont forget mommy ever! He will have a BLAST.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts