Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Merlin is for sure a mamma's boy!

Jeff *my fiancé* loves Merlin, but it seems as though Merlin doesn't feel the same. He always listens to me, and howls when I leave.

I have suggested that he does more of the training for now and feed him everyday. It is just so hard because I have summers off (yay teachers!)and I spend the most time with him.

Any other suggestion to get my two boys to love each other?

·
Registered
332 Posts
From what I learned some dogs are a single person dog. My peke plays with my kids and always acts happy to see my husband but to their complaint I'm the only one she will listen to. If my daughter tries to play fetch while I'm in the room Auriel will retrieve the ball but bring it to me and not my daughter. My puppy could be in full chest rub heaven and I call her name she will jump and run to me. I have no desire to change this, but if the dog howls when you leave you need to give him something (I give mine the stuffed frozen kong) before I leave so she associates my leaving with something good.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You may want to be careful here, if he's howling when you leave it might not be a lack of attachment to your fiance but an over attachment to you... I have this problem with my dog who barks continuously when I'm gone, for HOURS. This doesnt sound that serious but I would keep an eye on it for escalation. If the attachment starts to seem unhealthy (HAS to follow you around the house, whines outside doors, gets super anxious when you're not there and barks/drools/has "accidents") you may want to build some confidence by teaching down/stay and practicing it lots of places for increasing lengths of time and maybe regulating affection and building practice departures so its not such a shock to him when you go back to work in the fall. It might not be a problem at all though, just some thoughts...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You may want to be careful here, if he's howling when you leave it might not be a lack of attachment to your fiance but an over attachment to you... I have this problem with my dog who barks continuously when I'm gone, for HOURS. This doesnt sound that serious but I would keep an eye on it for escalation. If the attachment starts to seem unhealthy (HAS to follow you around the house, whines outside doors, gets super anxious when you're not there and barks/drools/has "accidents") you may want to build some confidence by teaching down/stay and practicing it lots of places for increasing lengths of time and maybe regulating affection and building practice departures so its not such a shock to him when you go back to work in the fall. It might not be a problem at all though, just some thoughts...
Thank you !
I do leave during the day for about 3-4 hours as I tutor and horse back ride. So he has been some what conditioned to be away from me. When I do leave I give a tasty kong (I have only been doing this in the crate - but will start when I leave him with Jeff). I have heard him whimper from the crate when I first leave but it does taper off in about 2 mins once he realizes mommy is gone. When I come back 90% of the time he is sound asleep and I have to wake him up.

SA is my biggest fear! My parent's dog (a little sausage dog) can get super destructive and naughty - peeing on their beds- when they leave. That is something I want to avoid at all costs.

I will for sure start leaving yummy treats when I leave and have Jeff work with him more. I was away last night and Jeff did mention to me that he didn't cry and didn't look for me and actually went to bed better then when I am home LOL. I suppose that is a good sign . :)

Anyone have any advice on making sure you have a SA free pup!?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
If he quiets right down you're probably in the clear and crate training is a great idea. It might just be that you're the annointed favorite ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts