Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merlin competed yesterday and today at shows in Orlando.
We went into these shows with Merlin needing a major and four points to finish his championship. We had a good entry for the Orlando Cluster. So we had four point majors in dogs and beetches, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. These shows were most likely the last chance for Merlin to finish until the fall.

We fell just short of winning yesterday. We had it in the bag and came up on a situation at the very end and another dog won. This was handler error and my bad. I could tell the judge wanted to give it to him. But the situation caused him to fall apart a bit and I did not correct it and come up with a solution quick enough. Sorry bud.... I should have been quicker thinking.

Today was another day. We shook off the disappointment from yesterday and went in to show our best.
Well.... We did it. Merlin too Winners Dog, gaining both the four points he needed and his second major. He is now a champion (pending AKC sending me the paperwork)

He went on to take Best of Winners as well.

I have him bumped up as a special tomorrow to compete in best of breed. (winners dog and winners beetch compete in best of breed but it usually takes a cocky judge to put a class dog up against a finished champion.)

I took Merlin out on the circuit young. He was 7 months old and I had never shown a dog in conformation before. My initial thought was with my dog savvy and him being such a nice dog it would be a piece of cake. Well it wasn't the case. There is a lot more to it than appears. Lots of finesse in how you stack (get him to stand) your dog, ring etticate, etc. So we went out and took some lumps against professionals, breeders and owner/handlers that have been in the game for years and years. Add frankly.... Merlin needed to grow up a bit. The breeder would have waited to take him out.
We won once last spring but did not do much until November. Since then it has been a pretty dang good ride.

He matured and grew into the dog the breeder and everyone else said he would be. He and I both learned and developed ring presence. I have kept it fun for me and him. Despite the sometimes less than fun world of dog show politics.

All that paid off and from here on out he is Champion Call Me Work N Some Magic.

So its been a good run and my head is still spinning. This may seem silly to some. But my dogs and dog activities are important to me. Probably third behind my family and job. And no matter how well he does tomorrow it has been a BIG week.

We got Merlin's OFA test scores back on Thursday. Which were GREAT!!!
Hips - Good
Elbows - Normal
Patellas - Normal
Cardiac - Normal
He is a pattern B for PRA - carrier (test done at 12 weeks.)
I also had his CERF done today after his ring time. (another eye test in which they look for abnormalities in the eye) That was good as well.
I have BAER (hearing) and the dna tests left to do and he will be fully tested. The DNA test is sitting on my desk and the BAER is going to be done next month.

Plus He WON!!!!! today and finished his championship.

But Merlin is far from done. He has a great future... As my bud and in show, performance and as a stud dog.

My plans at the moment are get him ramped up in the next few weeks. (now that I know his hips and elbows are strong) and begin working towards an agility title. After that Herding.

Breeding plans are in the works as well.

And his conformation career is not over either. I am going to continue to show him some as a special (finished champion) with a goal in mind. Starting in October, we are going to make a run for the 2011 Eukanuba National Championships.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Cool stuff, JohnnyBandit! Congratulations - I know you have been waiting for this for a long time!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
That is fantastic!!! Congrats, and good luck tomorrow! :)

I'm sure you are just on cloud nine lol.

I'm hoping to do conformation at some point, if I have the right dog to do it with...but I have a lot to learn.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is fantastic!!! Congrats, and good luck tomorrow! :)

I'm sure you are just on cloud nine lol.

I'm hoping to do conformation at some point, if I have the right dog to do it with...but I have a lot to learn.
Thanks all!!!! I am ZIPPED. And Shaina it is fun.... But you have to have thick skin at times. Most folks are nice but you run into a few hateful ones now and again.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Thanks all!!!! I am ZIPPED. And Shaina it is fun.... But you have to have thick skin at times. Most folks are nice but you run into a few hateful ones now and again.
LOL I hear you. Then again, that is everywhere. :mad:

Congrats on finishing! :D

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Yeah, that goes for the performance events as well lol. That type doesn't bother me though.

I hope Merlin (and you!) get a good night's rest so you are ready to go back at it tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Congrats!!! How fun! Is he your first CH? You NEVER forget that first one. They are all special, but the first one is extra special.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Congrats!!! How fun! Is he your first CH? You NEVER forget that first one. They are all special, but the first one is extra special.
Yes I have owned some dogs that titled in performance events and some actual working dogs.

Merlin is my first show dog and first champion.

Beeches? XD!

Congrats!! I can't wait till I finish my first CH

Beeches? XD!

Congrats!! I can't wait till I finish my first CH

:) I posted this on another forum I am active on as well. On that forum the word Bitches is on their censor list. Plus I am a moderator on that forum.

So I intentionally mispelled the word.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Well, congrats again. That is FANTASTIC. You've done really well! And I've heard the ACD people are tough to deal with. So great job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts