Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get into these periods where I don't want to do any dog related things. Usually it's just a day or two. But I could use a push!

I'm open to any suggestions or challenges on what to work on. Preferably indoors. It would inspire me to actually grab my dogs (who are chilling nicely at the moment) and my camera and do some things with them! I'm happy to post videos too.

Whatcha got?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are you part of the Tricks and Training group on Facebook? There are tons of great ideas for tricks and behaviors in there. I like to visit it for inspiration whenever I get in a slump training wise.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've been on that group for quite a while before I left (without any fuss). I really liked what it used to be, which is tricks oriented. It has shifted to be a lot of 'general training' and I see more posts dissolve into debates about tools and methods than actual challenges or complex training goals. It just wasn't my cup of tea anymore. But I do agree that there are plenty of talented trainers on that group and there is a lot of good knowledge at times.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Very true. I guess I’m just good at scrolling right on and passing over the posts I’m not a fan of. I don’t actually post in it, just look at the good trick posts for inspiration so it’s easy to ignore the squabbling people do. I don’t have many good ideas that are original. YouTubing ‘dog tricks’ is another good way to get inspiration.

Our current trick we're working on is the limp trick where the dog holds up one of their legs and walks While holding it ip. I’m using it as an exercise in entirely free shaping which I don’t do enough of. It’s slow going since we’re not pros at it but we’ve made good progress. He’ll now hold up his right front leg up high for a good few seconds. I started by clicking for just any movement of his feet so we're progressing nicely. It’s a lot of fun.

I don’t know exactly what you’ve taught them already but there’s always the classics. You’ve probably taught most of these but there’s shy, praying, crisscrossing legs while standing. There’s also the fun thing where you teach the dog to sort of mimic your movements, starting with some general behaviors/movements they already have trained.

None of this probably helped you but hopefully you either have already or will get out of your dog slump soon! I have those sometimes too. Especially when it’s been a long few days for whatever reason.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions :) I have a list of 70 behaviors/cues I'm working on so I have no excuse! In fact, after I posted this thread last night I told myself to get off my butt and we trained for an hour. He was done after that!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Once I trained a dog to open/close a door by pulling on a rag on the door handle and then opening and closing using a front foot. This would mean never leaving a dish towel on the Refrigerator door.

It was sort of funny because she pulled the rag REALLY hard once and the door slammed and it startled her. I told her if she slammed the door again I was taking it off the hinges... haha.

Verbal cue training with ZERO Body language (and I mean zero) is always a challenge.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like that challenge a lot. I just demoed my older dog in a beginner class today and had him do behaviors on just hand signals, and then I turned my back and had him do behaviors on just verbal.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
At the request of Ireth0, I made a dog training task randomizer that you can download (or save to your own google drive) and customize with your own behaviours.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's really cool!! Thanks! I wish I was better at coding in excel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts