Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling a bit bleh - I failed to manage a dog of mine that is intact and it’s not a good feeling.

We’ve been holding off desexing Memphis until he is fully grown, he is turning 1 on 3rd November (or thereabouts). Never had a problem with containing an intact dog before. And so peed off that I dropped the ball.

Dogs sleep crated in our room but they also have a secure yard if they want to sleep out there (call is made when we go to bed)

The other night, Memphis had the farts, badly. 1 hour after lights out (both dogs crated) I had to put him out, it was awful. I booted him out in to the yard, he isn’t bothered where he sleeps thank goodness.

Memphis barks when separated from Sway to begin with. He isn’t happy at all for the first 5 minutes but then settles. He didn’t bark. It crossed my mind but I fell asleep before the thought really took hold.

Fast forward to 1:15am. I woke up and got up to check him. Nothing. And a gate open. We are in the bush on a property.We have dingoes everywhere. And my entire dog is out there with them. I stayed up until he came home, as kids were asleep and I couldn’t leave and it was 5:45am before he happily trotted back in.

I'm glad he’s back of course and not hurt, or worse - shot or trapped (he’s a Terv and around here any tan dog loose is a goner) but I really feel like crap that I may have contributed to the wild dog problem thanks to my mis management.

I’m now debating whether to just go and have him fixed asap as soon as he turns 1. I was hoping for 18 months but after this just not sure? Or just ensure it doesn’t happen again but of course in saying that, I can sit there and say it won’t happen again but there is no way in hell I would have ever picked me to leave the gate unlatched this time either?

I'm not a bad owner I know that, but this one simple error could have caused a lot of unwanted wild pups out there and that part sucks.

:(

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Loose dogs can be shot here too.
yehaww yeah buddy and all that such.

Mistakes can be made by anyone. November isn't that far away. Just make a pact to keep inside at night and double check your latch

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Loose dogs can be shot here too.
yehaww yeah buddy and all that such.

Mistakes can be made by anyone. November isn't that far away. Just make a pact to keep inside at night and double check your latch
This. You could even put a lock on the latch if you're really worried about it, would give peace of mind that it really truly can't come open.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I would try to set up some springs on the gate so that it closes and latches by itself. I think they sell kits at most hardware stores, or just ask an employee what you would need. All of our horses paddocks are set up like this and I did the same at the house for peace of mind

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mistakes happen. We are all human. Forgive yourself and move on. Make a point to not do it again. What is keeping you from getting Memphis fixed now? I know of no medical reason to delay neutering a nine-month old. Our vet charges less to spay/neuter a smaller dog than a larger dog.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Mistakes happen. We are all human. Forgive yourself and move on. Make a point to not do it again. What is keeping you from getting Memphis fixed now? I know of no medical reason to delay neutering a nine-month old. Our vet charges less to spay/neuter a smaller dog than a larger dog.
There are benefits to leaving dogs intact. Most are spayed/neutered far too young in my opinion. They develop (or, don't) without essential hormones. There are plenty of articles and studies to be read on the subject, can't link any right now.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
There are benefits to leaving dogs intact. Most are spayed/neutered far too young in my opinion. They develop (or, don't) without essential hormones. There are plenty of articles and studies to be read on the subject, can't link any right now.
Agreed. My breeder has specially requested I not neither my berner puppy until at least 18 months but 2 would be better.

To OP, like everyone has said mistakes happen. Besides, maybe nothing happened. He may have just let himself out for a stroll and enjoyed himself. I would be more glad he came back unharmed. Where I'm from we struggled with coyotes which killed a lot of peoples dogs.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
In the US, nearly anyone on farms, ranches, or in the country can shoot dogs that pester livestock. I have friends in Montana, Idaho, and West Texas that have done this. Interestingly, I don't have any friends in the South who have shot loose dogs.

I got Shep fixed at 6mos. I don't know if there were side effects, but he's currently 15yo ... I could blame some of his problems - arthritis, cancer, sleeping all day - on early neuter, but I don't see a big [non-statistically relevant] between him and an intact dog that died at 17yo. So, if you want to wait until 18mos or neuter now, I think the jury is still out, except for a few breed specific studies. I don't think that 'pet-quality' GSDs suffer or benefit from neutering?

On the other hand, neutering may NOT stop wandering! Shep stopped trying to escape when he was about a year old, but he was just trying to get out and look around, not 'wander.' Moreover, he humped and nearly tied with a bitch in heat in the dog park [yes, I know :) ] ... when he was 8yo !!!

Your mileage WILL vary.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I am glad that your dog came back and seems alright. Off the subject but when we do xrays of beagles from a rescue most are full of buckshot. A couple of other dogs have had this happen to. One owner claimed her dog had been missing but when he came back seemed fine. It was the only time the owner thought this could of happened when the dog had taken off.

Where I live loose dogs are dead dogs. People with sheep and goats do not tend to see if the dogs are going to bother the livestock. They shoot first. One farm after the guy died and another person bought the farm the property was riddled with skeletons from animals this guy killed.

Coyotes are another threat near here. When they start howling it seems like they are right outside the window. Their sounds carry quite the distance.

The highway is not too far from here either. Cars against dog= usually the car wins.

Glad all is okay. The neutering thing just do not see leaving the dog intact as the great benefit you read on here. Maybe if I saw it in real life, I could believe it more but sorry just do not see it. My young neutered Doberman has outlived all his intact brothers and sister.. I think that is sad considering he is only 7.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thankyou everyone :)
There is now a padlock on there so hopefully that will be that.

Reasons for not desexing him yet? Hes a big boy, still growing, and I plan on doing sports with him and a lot of jumping so Id prefer to make sure he is fully grown first and developed, joints etc. There may be conflicting advice in regards to this everywhere, I actually wasnt sure what would be best for him, each dog is different, but I was in a position to leave him entire until he is grown and stop him reproducing in the meantime so it was an easy choice for us. The only reason I am eventually getting him desexed later on is really for my convenience.

Thats why this was such a big smack in the face for me when he got out.

Lesson learned. I actually doubt he got into anything, the neighbours who know all the local dingoes around our parts said that chances were slim of him even getting near a girl with the resident male dogs around, they would have kicked his butt to kingdom come if he dared come near their territory. How much truth there is to that is anyones guess. So if anything, Im just glad he didnt come back injured or worse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts