Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm no pro trainer, but for my pup I told him he was a good boy for not reacting at stimuli at a distance he was comfortable at BEFORE he reacted. I name the stimulus so that he knows I know it's safe and nothing to worry about. Same goes for sounds and noises.

I started looking out the window with him, rewarding for him 'just watching' ppl and dogs walk by. Or wildlife, or anything that gets his attention. Then moved to the front porch, then in the yard, closer to the street and so on. Gradually reducing distance or threshold he is comfortable with (without a reaction). Big praise for remaining calm, but I also keep calm, no high voice, no excitement. Just a soothing good boy and a pet (if she's ok with that).

For my pup, if it's no big deal for me, it's no big deal for him. He looks to me if ever he is unsure.

I just watched a vid by Kikkopup about recall with prey driven dogs, but I think it might be helpful to get your girl used to other dogs.

·
Registered
245 Posts
No worries! And thanks for the compliment! I have a high prey drive, highly reactive dog breed. So I did nip it in the bud when he was a little pup, but it really works! Just had to let you know that. He doesn't bark at the neighbor's dog even if Goustav is barking at him. The other neighbor's dog is older and if he comes to the fence, neither dog is barking. My 3rd neighbor has a cat and it's still a different story when the cat is just out of his reach growling and hissing at him lol. Just a little more work to do haha!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.